Good reading on Aranda's Defense (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
It might be a bit dense, but it's fascinating.

Simulated Pressure System: The low-risk, high-reward pressure package that is super-easy for defensive coordinators—and a flat-out “nightmare” for offensive coordinators, quarterbacks, o-line coaches, and running backs… because it gives your defensive coordinator the ability to dictate, then manipulate protection schemes.

With Simulated Pressure, you get pressure with the player you want against the protector you want to attack, and you still have your full catalog of three deep and two deep zone coverages. How? You give all 11 of your players a legitimate role as a rusher. This is key to the system because the illusion of pressure can be as productive as pressure in certain situations. By rushing all of your 11 defenders at some point during a season, the offense has to legitimately account for each defender when they “bluff” or show pressure early. In turn, this allows you to dictate protection in one area and rush four from another.

That was a good little read. Thanks.

I didn't realize that this is the system that ULL's DC implemented. The article downplays the need for stud personnel with this defensive scheme, but ULL's defense was ranked around #100 in the country or worse in most defensive categories. I do think this was mostly due to the fact that they could be run on at will which caused opposing offenses to attempt passes against them at the fourth lowest rate in college football.

Or maybe the system is not quite as easy to install as the article would suggest. Hopefully it takes about one full season!

The real concern I have about defensive schemes is the level of difficulty to learn and implement on an individual player basis. I never did like any defense that causes a player on defense to have to 'think' more than 'react'.

If the players can quickly understand and perform their roles in Aranda's defensive schemes, I'm all in. If it takes them two or three years to get it right, it's not really going to solve any problems at LSU. But obviously Aranda is doing something right because for the most part his defense holds their own.

Of course it may just have more to do with superior talent than what he's teaching these kids. But I tend to believe his coaching has much to do with their success.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom