Good TE's still give us problems (1 Viewer)

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
How many catches did Witten have. It's like we had no answer for him.

I think he has 100 yards. I remember during the last drive, they threw the ball to him 3 times on the row and it seems like all 3 catches were from the same formation/play

GW was willing to give up those short passes in the flat to focus on stopping the long ball in the 2 minute defense? D was tired after a long game on a short week? Witten is one of the best in the game? Lots of reasons.

Only T.E.'s with good outside receivers who we have to limit... GW will let a TE have more open looks if that means we're limiting the big play receivers.

I think the issue with the Tight End here is that we want to resolve it to some degree before we play the Falcons again.

To a point, I agree with the OP. Witten was doing us a lot of damage. On the go-ahead Dallas drive he caught at least three in a row to move the chains.

OTOH..... Two names we heard rarely, or not at all, were BRYANT and AUSTIN.

It appears the game plan, which was good, was to take those two truly dangerous weapons out of the picture. Like the Saints, the Cowboys have a number of very good players on offense. Limiting that number to half (Witten, Williams) seems to have been successful, eh?

There are a few WR's in the league who are simply to big and fast for all but a few CB's in the league. But there are no LBs in game who are fast enough to cover any of the top 10 TE's all day. There are also no safeties who are big enough to cover the top 10 TE's in the league.

The TE is the biggest physical mismatch in the entire game. He's bigger, faster, and he knows where he is going. As a defense, you can only match one of those with a single player. To match all three of those takes two players and now the rest of the offense is single covered. That is a big reason why successful teams almost always have a really good TE.

FWIW, Jimmy Graham has the ability to be the best TE in the game for the next 10 yrs. Alotta work left to do to get there however.

I just didn't like how soft the coverage was. Sure, give up something 5-8 yards, but we had way too big a cushion on Witten late in the game. I'm a bit baffled that, once they crossed midfield, they generally stopped looking for him. But then I also don't care because that gave us a W.

I'm fine with solid coverage and a QB throwing a guy open, but leaving a 12-yard cushion on a known top 2 receiving threat on a team in an obvious passing situation is borderline unacceptable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom