Goodbye homefield, MVP and even Super Bowl (1 Viewer)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Just a complete choke job all around by Drew and the offense.

The defense did its part. But Brees lost this game (even though receivers did him no favors).

Too much was on the line to choke away a game like this. Just a terrible way to end any realistic shot at a special season.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’d say it’s human nature if there’s margin for error.

That’s the concern I have. To come out flat and unfocused with so much on the line is just strange.
Margin for error? The Patriots went 19-0 and had no margin for error in the Super bowl, they lost. It happens. Everyone has off days. Even Brady, Montana, Jordan, whoever. Most SB winners lose 3-5 games in a season. I get the concern, but I don't get the irrational idea that this loss somehow ends our chances of getting HFA or not getting to the SB regardless.

I still say Brees shouldn't lose a shot at MVP over 1 bad game, but I suspect we'll need to see a bad game from Mahomes for Brees to win it.

OP
OP

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Margin for error? The Patriots went 19-0 and had no margin for error in the Super bowl, they lost. It happens. Everyone has off days. Even Brady, Montana, Jordan, whoever. Most SB winners lose 3-5 games in a season. I get the concern, but I don't get the irrational idea that this loss somehow ends our chances of getting HFA or not getting to the SB regardless.

I still say Brees shouldn't lose a shot at MVP over 1 bad game, but I suspect we'll need to see a bad game from Mahomes for Brees to win it.
We weren’t talking about just losing. It was about coming out looking unfocused and flat.

They didn’t come out flat in the SB. An outstanding Giants DL played great football and the Giants made some incredible plays offensively.

And the only thing Brees had over Mahomes this year was a lack of turnovers. Especially in a big spot.

In the biggest spot in our season, Drew threw a pick. Mahomes crazy numbers will (and should) give him the nod now.

Reaction score
We weren’t talking about just losing. It was about coming out looking unfocused and flat.

They didn’t come out flat in the SB. An outstanding Giants DL played great football and the Giants made some incredible plays offensively.

And the only thing Brees had over Mahomes this year was a lack of turnovers. Especially in a big spot.

In the biggest spot in our season, Drew threw a pick. Mahomes crazy numbers will (and should) give him the nod now.
Drew will likely still have the best QBR rating and probably is still on pace to break on his own record on passing percentage. If Drew finishes the last four games with the way he has played prior to the Dallas game , he will (and should) be the MVP favorite.

Reaction score
I don't think it's odd. It's human nature. It's tough staying focused for an entire 16 game season. Dallas' defense is legit. Gotta give them credit. We'll be fine though. As long as our OL is reasonably healthy, and the defense keeps improving, we'll be alright.
It was posted earlier here tonight the Saints played 3 games in 11 days which should never be allowed to happen. Have any other teams had or will have a schedule like this in 2018 ? If not , the Saints have a legitimate gripe to complain to the NFL Gods.

woohoosaint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
This might be an overreaction.

But you saw the collection of errors early. Dropped balls, bad calls, missed blocking assignments. We were just OFF all of the way around.
I can guarantee you that Payton isn't going to be complacent after this loss.

A good portion of this team won't have backsides this coming week after he's done with them.

Joodas Avila

MillenniaMMA.com
Reaction score
Plain and simple, this is a blessing in disguise. A reminder that we're not invincible. We got a reality check in week 1, and went on a rampage. Now that we've got reality checked again. Time to reset and go on another rampage.

timpoulos

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
No, but realistically HFA is gone. We are headed for 13-3 at best. LA, even if they lose against Chicago, has no real chance of losing another one.

We need LA to beat Chicago. We just got choked out by a good defense. Last thing. LAST thing we need is to have to go to Chicago in January.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Chicago has to play Green Bay also. We're need to worry about the #2 seed. #1 is gonna be tough...

Slaw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Posters mock the Falcons and Panthers boards, even starting threads to make fun of them. Saints lose one game (after winning 10 in a row) and SR is full of threads/posts that look exactly the same as what they were just making fun of.

Hilarious

sidwin

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
The last time we lost to the cowboys during a long win streak we won the super bowl. Just saying.... now let’s get back to the basics and start a new streak

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
Posters mock the Falcons and Panthers boards, even starting threads to make fun of them. Saints lose one game (after winning 10 in a row) and SR is full of threads/posts that look exactly the same as what they were just making fun of.

Hilarious
Dude a couple above you saying Drew doesn’t deserve MVP.

If I were unlucky enough to be one Carolina or Atlanta, this thread would be golden material.

RKNSaint

Contrarian
Reaction score
It was posted earlier here tonight the Saints played 3 games in 11 days which should never be allowed to happen. Have any other teams had or will have a schedule like this in 2018 ? If not , the Saints have a legitimate gripe to complain to the NFL Gods.
So did the Cowboys (3 games in 11 days). Wasn't our night. Cowboys offense was just a little bit better. Bad calls down the stretch was too much to overcome. Drew's patented back up INT sealed the deal. On to next week. Win the Division, get a bye is about the best that will happen this year. Hopefully that's enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Courtney Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 29