Goodbye NFL (1 Viewer)

These threads are pure nostalgia for me personally. I used to literally destroy my Saints collectibles after a tough loss,stupid me. Fast forward 30 years and I really wish I had those back I lost some rare one of a kind collectibles. I vent just as hard as anyone during game time and I have a game day board attitude. We go three and out and I already have proclaimed the game over. My change has come after the game. I just turn the TV station and go about my business or fire up the ps4. I still go throught he day like yesterday still saying to myself "how in the heck did we lose that ******* game then it's over,although this year has been Saints only games and that's it,the game is done for me as a whole. If the Saints and other teams were losing in a fair and square way then fine but to have it in the state it is in is just unwatchable and boring. No way is a hobby going to ruin my week it just doesn't make sense,don't get me wrong it took me 29 years to perfect the mental protect technique:ezbill:

It assumes that if we just had more accuracy that it would correct the problems in the game. It's an analog not a digital game, with flesh and blood and human mistakes. I think thinking that technology fixes the problem in the NFL is a mistake, I think it won't work with helmets and safety equipment and I don't think it eliminates problems in the structure and makeup of the game.

On a review-able play, like returning a blocked PAT, a sensor running down the line would have absolutely assisted in making the correct call. Saying something like that is a human mistake is not acceptable, and it shouldn't even be a thought. The refs get paid to make the correct calls, and a sensor down the sideline confirming the player stepped out would have helped them do their jobs correctly. It isn't like baseball where every umpire's strike zone is different. You're either out of bounds or you're in bounds.

The NFL had nothing to do with Thomas being involved in 3 turnovers. Rookie just had a bad game.

Exactly,we have seen nothing but the best from this kid and he is going to have bad games and you know he will improve on that. The bad game just happen to happen at a very bad time and twice,gotta take the good with the bad and for a rookie he is killing it.

On a review-able play, like returning a blocked PAT, a sensor running down the line would have absolutely assisted in making the correct call. Saying something like that is a human mistake is not acceptable, and it shouldn't even be a thought. The refs get paid to make the correct calls, and a sensor down the sideline confirming the player stepped out would have helped them do their jobs correctly. It isn't like baseball where every umpire's strike zone is different. You're either out of bounds or you're in bounds.

After you do the sideline sensor then there is a call for the goal line sensor, then sensors on the contact points, knees etc. The problem is in trying to insert too much certainty into an uncertain game. It's a game, not a probability distribution simulation which is where my video game comment came from. I'm not a fan, it's fine if you disagree.

Games that the Saints win are never fixed, right??

It's literally the same thing after every loss. The Saints got robbed. The NFL is fixing games...

It's a bunch of bull. We turned the ball over 4 times. That's why we lost. The replay was the very definition of inconclusive.

People do the same thing after LSU loses. It's ALWAYS the refs. Our teams never lose, apparently.

If all of you are so sure college and pro football games are fixed, why do you watch them?? I remember lots of calls going against us in 2009. Know what else I remember?? It didn't matter because we were a great football team. Maybe if our team was better it wouldn't come down to whether or not some dude was unlucky enough to step on the sideline after Denver beat our special teams, AGAIN...

Well said sir. People forget we turned the ball over 4 times. We were lucky to even have a chance to win that game. Props to the defense for keeping us in the game.

I totally get it. I'm gonna still keep watching; but after last week, I think I learned not to take it too seriously anymore.

Well said sir. People forget we turned the ball over 4 times. We were lucky to even have a chance to win that game. Props to the defense for keeping us in the game.

And they turned it over multiple times as well. They got sacked 6 times. They were lucky to even have a chance to win that game. That's the NFL every week in nearly every game. You aren't assigned wins on turnover ratio or penalties received.

The call cost us a chance to win the game. Not a small chance, but a significant chance. That's simply not right and not how it should be.

NFL is big money. Of course its rigged. But more to betting lines than some commissioner conspiracy. The refs are taught to keep it close. The NFL wants you to think its "parity" of the league but it is really big bucks in the gambling world. They are as crooked as the mafia.

NFL is big money. Of course its rigged. But more to betting lines than some commissioner conspiracy. The refs are taught to keep it close. The NFL wants you to think its "parity" of the league but it is really big bucks in the gambling world. They are as crooked as the mafia.
And as many eyeballs watching for as much of the broadcast as possible.

I don't think they script or outright fix, and much of it is up to the teams that play. Refs might have a bias and work to create the opportunities for it to stay close, but if you still cough the ball up 4 or 5 times then you will still lose.

I'm even open to the idea that the refs, who are completely human, have a predictable subconscious tendency tot equalize. Just like when I watch a game I have no stake in I often root for the team far behind to come back, just to be entertained.

I just know that whatever the reason, they are poor at thieer job and it seems to hurt disproportionately hurt the Saints over time. But when it mattered in 2009, particularly in the NFCCG and Super Bowl the calls went our way, which could also have been the impact of subconscious sympathetic biases created from the Katrina narrative.

Earlier today I was thinking about how this loss was going to affect the confidence of many football fans around the country. (Let's face it, the Saints haven't been the only team to have been 'precisionally inserted' by the officials in recent times and the complaining about it is not exclusive to our fan base.)

The first thing that ANY fan of NFL football has to ask himself/herself is: "Do I/you expect that each and every call by the officials will be the correct one even with all the fancy new technology that has been put into place to try and ensure that it is?"

True, there will always be an interpretation factor involved in many of the calls/non-calls that happen in EVERY game. But there is a BIG difference between Competence and Conspiracy. If you are one to believe that every one (or the majority) of the bad calls that go against your team is a product of scripted venom by the league and/or the selected officiating crew, then naturally you will never be convinced that these part-time rules defenders are really just imperfect & incompetent men who are having a difficult time being as accurate at detecting fouls as an ultra slow motion replay camera can (usually) determine. You thus have no choice but to either bail from this farce of a sport, or enjoy it in the same foolish way a WWE fan latches on to their favorite exhibition 'sport'.

OR... you can try to imagine that the officiating crews are really making these judgement calls in a spirit of honesty and fairness to the best of their ability, even though they fully understand that they will continue to falter under the pressure of the league and the partisan fans to enforce vaguely understood infractions and rules of safety in a high speed environment that is ripe for the likelihood that they will not be able to please everyone after these questionable decisions are made.

To wholeheartedly believe anything along the line of 'fixed games' or 'point-spread shaving theories' gives a person absolutely no reason to get excited about wins or losses because both success and failure (no matter the team) is merely a product of predetermination. So why watch at all?!?!?

The product of the NFL certainly isn't perfect right now. But it never has been. It would be hard to find any sport that doesn't have it's share of controversy. And as quickly as the rules and standards are evolving in the NFL, it's hard to imagine that it hasn't made the job of officiating a lot tougher than ever before.

In the end, the NFL game is either legitimate or it isn't. If you think it's as phony as a 3 dollar bill, it's understandable that you no longer wish to be duped by what you perceive as a big hoax. But if you are among those who feel like the bad calls often manage to even themselves out over the course of the season, then you will still be sitting in your Dome seat or in front of your TV set for every Saints game hoping that on that particular game day most of the good calls will go our way.

Somehow I believe that most of us here will be among the latter.

I've tailored my NFL down to a few quarters a week all dedicated to the Saints. I sometimes record it and watch later.

I NEVER watch MNF, SNF or Thursday night football. I am much more interested in College and high school football these days.

Go out to a golf course at noon on a sunday and it's ALLLLL mine. Get home around 3 and watch the Saints game recorded on DVR.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom