Goodell: For Better or Worse (1 Viewer)

Guitarzan

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
SIX AND A HALF years into Goodell's tenure, his billionaire bosses believe the man who dreamed of being commissioner as a teenager is perfectly suited to lead the league through its most perilous time. They paid him $29.5 million in 2011, and in January 2012 he signed a five-year contract extension. Robert Kraft, the Patriots owner, says Goodell runs the NFL as if he owns it -- the league literally belongs to him. Jerry Jones, the Cowboys owner, says Goodell cares so much about the game that he "totally emptied his bucket -- everything he's got -- and put his life into the NFL."

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones calls Goodell a "grow-the-pie thinker" for his ability to increase revenues.
AP Photo/Mary Altaffer
As part of his mission, Goodell often tells audiences a favorite story: More than a century ago, before there was an NFL, President Theodore Roosevelt saved football with the blunt force of his visionary leadership. In 1904, 18 student-athletes died playing the game, mostly from skull fractures. A devout fan, Roosevelt convened the coaches from Harvard, Yale and Princeton to a White House meeting. The innovations that were adopted -- the forward pass, the founding of the NCAA -- helped propel an endangered game into the modern era.

The history lesson not only places Goodell in Roosevelt's shoes and the current worries about player safety into a historical context, it also portends one of his greatest fears: An NFL player is going to die on the field.

OTL: His Game, His Rules - ESPN

he "totally emptied his bucket -- everything he's got -- and put his life into the NFL."

Trouble is he seems intent on totally emptying the NFL's bucket, or maybe I should say changing the bucket into an 'environmentally friendly' (safer) bag. The only thing is that a bucket holds a lot more before breaking...

I just finished reading it all (took a while).

It's a good read. Again, based on other OTL pieces and how we felt about them, it may be a bit unfair to the Commish, but it does jive with a lot that I've noticed over the years with how he acts and how others have chosen to write up about him.

I wonder what this will do to ESPN and the NFL's relationship. If the NFL supposedly got upset over something Bradshaw said on NBC on a talk show, I can't imagine this will go over well.

Trouble is he seems intent on totally emptying the NFL's bucket, or maybe I should say changing the bucket into an 'environmentally friendly' (safer) bag. The only thing is that a bucket holds a lot more before breaking...

Read the entire article?

"the man who dreamed of being commissioner as a teenager"

:spit:

I just finished reading it all (took a while).

It's a good read. Again, based on other OTL pieces and how we felt about them, it may be a bit unfair to the Commish, but it does jive with a lot that I've noticed over the years with how he acts and how others have chosen to write up about him.

I wonder what this will do to ESPN and the NFL's relationship. If the NFL supposedly got upset over something Bradshaw said on NBC on a talk show, I can't imagine this will go over well.

I think the article illuminates a much broader picture of Goodell-- hence "For Better or Worse". I think it's plain to see the owners are happy, the union foments distrust (for obvious reasons: he bludgeoned them at the bargaining table) and shows the human nature of strong-willed personalities, that in spite of all of their good intentions, they are still human beings and are susceptible to failure. How the NFL's ultimate disposition plays out over the next few decades in the aftermath of this transition will allow history to judge. It's far too great a task for any man of this day to do, IMO.

"The criticism ought to go to us," says Mara, the Giants owner. "Roger wasn't doing anything ownership didn't want."

that in spite of all of their good intentions, they are still human beings and are susceptible to failure. .

And some human beings are just awful. Human beings often have bad intentions, especially when it comes time to serve themselves and the people they answer to. Why is it so far fetched to think that was the case here without ascribing these hidden "good intentions" to Goodell, when we've seen no real evidence of them?

And some human beings are just awful. Human beings often have bad intentions, especially when it comes time to serve themselves and the people they answer to. Why is it so far fetched to think that was the case here without ascribing these hidden "good intentions" to Goodell, when we've seen no real evidence of them?

You couldn't have read the entire piece and really believe that could you?

"The criticism ought to go to us," says Mara, the Giants owner. "Roger wasn't doing anything ownership didn't want."

In reference to the referee lockout.

Why do you love Roger Goodell so much and try to get other people to agree with you that he's a savior?

I mean, I can go find a hundred quotes that make him look like the dictator *** that he is.

Repeatedly, he was pressed to acknowledge a link between playing football and cognitive erosion. Despite the fact that the league's retirement board had already made the link internally years earlier, he refused.

In reference to the referee lockout.

Why do you love Roger Goodell so much and try to get other people to agree with you that he's a savior?

I don't love Goodell. All along I've stated that I think he had bad judgement but was trying to do his job. Some folks are simply too simpleton to see a difference between disregarding obvious hysteria and irrational hate and trying to understand a person's intentions. Your statement is a case in point.

Well, this is the reason that I and many others will forever call ******** on this whole scam that was force fed to us.

But in 2007, after Patriots coach Bill Belichick and his assistant coaches were caught using a secret videotaping system of opponents, Goodell led a confounding investigation. He decided on the punishment in five days and shut down the case. He fined Belichick $500,000 and the team $250,000 and stripped New England of a first-round draft choice. Then Goodell ordered the videotapes destroyed. The decision ensured that the question about how much the spying had helped the Patriots win games, including Super Bowls in the 2001, 2003 and 2004 seasons, would likely forever remain a mystery.

The questions left unresolved by the truncated inquiry persist: Did Goodell destroy the evidence to save the Patriots and the league from breathtaking embarrassment? During last season's playoffs, the scandal was raised again, this time by Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs, who pointed out that the Patriots have not won a title since they stopped videotaping opponents.

Yet Kraft was livid at Goodell's punishment. "He really was much too tough on us," Kraft says. "He did what he thought was right for the league, and that's what I want him to do even if it goes in the short term against the best interest of the Patriots. I want him to represent what's in the league's best interest, even if his judgment isn't pure."

And screw Kraft, all smug blowing smoke for Goodell in the OTL piece that aired Sunday.

Ya think maybe it's possible that Benson was one of the 8 owners who never voted Goodell in as the new comissioner?

You couldn't have read the entire piece and really believe that could you?

Yes, I did--I just saw through the obvious fluff and remembered every lie & distortion from "bountygate" as well as the owner's lockout, the ref lockout, the push for 18 games, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom