Goodell: For Better or Worse (1 Viewer)

After reading that I have even less respect for that loser.

Peter Ginsberg, the coach's lawyer, told Goodell the coach had an unblemished record through two decades in the league as a coach and a player. He was embarrassed and devastated by the DUI arrest, which was knocked down to reckless driving, and Ginsberg asked Goodell to look at the situation with some compassion.

Goodell suddenly stood up. "He turned bright red," Ginsberg recalls, "and screamed at me that I should not lecture him about what was right and wrong." Then Goodell walked out of the room. (A league source says Goodell only raised his voice.) The coach was fined and suspended.

Good grief.

Of all the things that have come out about Goodell - including his straight up lies - I think the fact that he's the most sanctimonious SOB on the planet is what really gets me.

Great quality to have in a Commissioner!

he is bent on destroying the game, although he believes he's doing the right thing because he thinks he's smarter than everyone else, check out this quote from an article I just read..

The NFL commissioner swaps ideas with four-star Gen. Lloyd J. Austin III about how to better protect the brains of the young people who fight America's wars and play America's game. They also discuss changing the "warrior mentality" among soldiers and players, who keep fighting and playing through pain.
I don't know about anyone else, but I want those who fight for our freedom & those who play the game we love to keep their "warrior mentality". If this nut job gets his way, we'll have flag football pretty soon.

link to article...

B.S. Report: Don Van Natta Jr. - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

BS Report with the author of the article. He looked over all the bountygate evidence and came up with the same conclusions that we have been saying since it started. They also have a chuckle about Goodell being a "victim."

Listening now. Good follow-up to the OTL piece. I'm a big fan of Bill Simmons. Allow yourself enough time to listen as it runs almost 50 minutes.

I just don't have the stomach reading anything about Goodell. So I won't bother...

"The criticism ought to go to us," says Mara, the Giants owner. "Roger wasn't doing anything ownership didn't want."

Do you have an agenda here? You grab that single quote without putting it in the context in which Mara made it. He said that only in reference to the replacement refs fiasco.

SIX AND A HALF years into Goodell's tenure, his billionaire bosses believe the man who dreamed of being commissioner as a teenager is perfectly suited to lead the league through its most perilous time. They paid him $29.5 million in 2011, and in January 2012 he signed a five-year contract extension. Robert Kraft, the Patriots owner, says Goodell runs the NFL as if he owns it -- the league literally belongs to him. Jerry Jones, the Cowboys owner, says Goodell cares so much about the game that he "totally emptied his bucket -- everything he's got -- and put his life into the NFL."

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones calls Goodell a "grow-the-pie thinker" for his ability to increase revenues.
AP Photo/Mary Altaffer
As part of his mission, Goodell often tells audiences a favorite story: More than a century ago, before there was an NFL, President Theodore Roosevelt saved football with the blunt force of his visionary leadership. In 1904, 18 student-athletes died playing the game, mostly from skull fractures. A devout fan, Roosevelt convened the coaches from Harvard, Yale and Princeton to a White House meeting. The innovations that were adopted -- the forward pass, the founding of the NCAA -- helped propel an endangered game into the modern era.

The history lesson not only places Goodell in Roosevelt's shoes and the current worries about player safety into a historical context, it also portends one of his greatest fears: An NFL player is going to die on the field.

OTL: His Game, His Rules - ESPN

Well, this just shows money, corruption and power breed contempt and more of the same.

I think the article illuminates a much broader picture of Goodell-- hence "For Better or Worse". I think it's plain to see the owners are happy, the union foments distrust (for obvious reasons: he bludgeoned them at the bargaining table) and shows the human nature of strong-willed personalities, that in spite of all of their good intentions, they are still human beings and are susceptible to failure. How the NFL's ultimate disposition plays out over the next few decades in the aftermath of this transition will allow history to judge. It's far too great a task for any man of this day to do, IMO.

"Tho owners are happy" sums it up.

He serves the owners' interests.
He cares about the fans if it means the fans give the owners more money.
He cares about the players if it means them making the owners more money.

Anything that doesn't make the owners more money, or ensure the survival of the NFL, doesn't matter.

These truths don't mean Roger isn't doing his job well - but forgive me if I view the NFL's claims to care about anything other than the owners' financial interests as a load of horse manure. It is clear to anyone who wants to see that the NFL cares about one thing and one thing only.

Long story, and despite trying to be neutral it's pretty damning criticism of him in the article as I read it. Interesting too was that the author sort of worked against his bosses by including the bit about ESPN caving into pressure from Goodell to remove Bruce Smith from a promo once he joined the lawsuits. You didn't have to read between the lines much after the setup of NBC clearly caving to pressure to see the author thought ESPN had caved to it too.

I am finally pleased to read an article on ESPN. Even more of an eye-opener and insight into the personality of a power-drunk dictator who does some good things ($$ for the owners), but does far more bad things and using ends to justify the means(Hugo Chavez analogy?).

Particularly telling things include instances of his volatile temper and totalitarian tendencies. You really excluded the 60-something year old wife of a disabled (unable to attend and speak for himself) player to a player/ex-player meeting? Really?

Of course, of some significance to me as a Saints fan:
ESPN has exclusively obtained Bountygate documents including confidential transcripts of the private four-day appeal hearing held by former commissioner Tagliabue late last year. The documents show an investigation remarkable for its limited scope -- only one Saints player spoke to investigators, for example -- and for damning accusations that league officials quietly retracted in later memos or chose not to introduce as evidence.

The only solace I have is that at least SOME major outlet is willing to report the farcical nature of the investigation and punishments, albeit far too late.

Goodell is a piece of work dictator. An apologist for him in the guise of a Saints fan (especially after presumably reading this entire article) baffles me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom