Goodell/Refs N/S (1 Viewer)

Well of course that’s part of the storyline. Lol.

I’m pretty firm in the “NFL is rigged” camp, but today was just incompetence, nothing more.

I think maybe “rigged” to draw the most attention to the game. But I really don’t think the refs or nfl give a sheete who wins as long as it makes them money. I mean.. The bengals aren’t exactly the darling pick for ratings

I just realized something about the NFL today. I haven't been watching the NFL for as long as you guys, and I usually just turn off my tv when the Superbowl games end, meaning I had never watched the celebration when the Lombardi is given to the winning team. Please watch a soccer cup final celebration (Champion's League, FIFA World Cup) and compare it to the NFL: in the NFL's celebration there is no emotion, no excitement; it just seems bland. But what triggered me the most is that the first person who holds the Lombardi is the owner of the team ! In soccer that person is the captain of the team, the player who is the leader of the team and who is charged with raising the morale and inspiration when they are low: being a captain is more of an honorary role but he is given the honor of raising the cup first because he represents the effort that the players did throughout the season; he is the heart and soul of the team and therefore is granted the highest honor of holding the trophy.
So what is my point here ? My point is that the fact the in the NFL the owner of team holding the trophy first sends a message. The trophy isn't held first by the moral leader of the players nor even the head coach who is responsible for team management, instead that honor is given to the person who has the money. Players have to give their everything and even risk their physical (and mental) integrity during the season but in the end, the person who is glorified the most is just the person who pays the checks. So the message that the league is sending here is that the people who have the money are the most important part of a team. The NFL is all about money in the end. For God's sake, the next thing Goodell said after "congratulations" was something about the new stadium ! To him that was clearly what mattered the most. Now it all makes sense when I go back to NFC Championship against the Rams.
Sorry for the long post but I felt like I should write this somewhere. I hope you guys understood my point (I am not very good at writing and explaining my ideas). And no, I don't like soccer more than the NFL, I just wanted to give a comparison.

Did you miss the bengals not being able to cover Cupp and being all over every receiver? (Pretty clear penalties).. Of course any ref is going to pay more attention to the end of the game. What are you trying to insinuate?
Why would the ref pay more attention at the end of the game and not the rest of the game?

I'm not trying to insinuate anything. I am saying the refs inconsistently called the game and whether it was intentional or not it gave the appearance of helping the Rams win, which is a favorable outcome for the league.

Last edited:
Holy sheet you guys see Russell Wilson sitting next to Goodell. Conflict of interest much? This league is absolute garbage.
He was telling him “Don’t go to New Orleans if you ever want to win another Super Bowl, I‘ll see to it if you do!!!”

I do not think there was a conspiracy to ensure a Rams' victory. there was no written memorandum or verbal instruction by Park Avenue to the officials to make calls favoring the Rams if they were behind in the game.

But I am upset over the inconsistent officiating during this Super Bowl game--to essentially let the players play with so few penalties and then call so many penalties on Cincinnati at the end, especially the defensive-holding call on the linebacker, is inexcusable.

The end of this game reminded me so much of the end of last year's NFC conference championship game between Green Bay and Tampa where the officials allowed the players to play, ignoring for 58 minutes how physical the Tampa defensive backs were, and then at the end of the game called pass interference on Green Bay.

I commented about this situation being “manipulation” in the other thread on this subject. Which you can see at https://saintsreport.com/threads/rigged-for-la.470992/page-2. So I won’t repost it here, but I do believe the NFL is manipulating games to favor likely outcomes over others. This is different than fixing where you might ensure a certain outcome (and get caught and get in trouble). So I agree with those who are basically accusing the NFL of manipulating games to get to certain likely outcomes. I can think of 6 BILLION reasons why the NFL might have favored a Rams “victory” tonight. In my mind, the Rams are total frauds, but I blame the NFL.

Why would the ref pay more attention at the end of the game and but the rest of the game?

I'm not trying to insinuate anything. I am saying the refs inconsistently called the game and whether it was intentional or not it gave the appearance of helping the Rams win, which is a favorable outcome for the league.

I’m not saying they are for sure, just that they probably would because there’s more at stake.

You’re literally just drawing a line from “close game” to “it appeared that the refs helped them win “. How? Because of a few plays in which many thought the right call was made? That’s not nearly enough.

Also, what is this “favorable outcome for the league”? You could literally make that assumption for any team that gets in. It looks an awful lot like grasping for straws and trying to create connections where there are none. Had the Bengals 2nd year QB not gotten gobbled up by the Rams line, we could have had a 23-16 or 27-16 game in the Bengals favor. Then it’s “not” the refs helping or they didn’t get what they want?

Come on.

I’m not saying they are for sure, just that they probably would because there’s more at stake.

You’re literally just drawing a line from “close game” to “it appeared that the refs helped them win “. How? Because of a few plays in which many thought the right call was made? That’s not nearly enough.

Also, what is this “favorable outcome for the league”? You could literally make that assumption for any team that gets in. It looks an awful lot like grasping for straws and trying to create connections where there are none. Had the Bengals 2nd year QB not gotten gobbled up by the Rams line, we could have had a 23-16 or 27-16 game in the Bengals favor. Then it’s “not” the refs helping or they didn’t get what they want?

Come on.
If you want to be a cheerleader for the league then be my guest. I doubt you'll get much support here.

Again, I am not insinuating anything. I'm saying the league has a real problem with inconsistent officiating and it seems to rear it's ugly head at some of the worst possible times. But don't take my word for it. Go to pretty much every other football forum and/or social media platform and read the comments when that play happened. I know exactly what you'll find because I'm a member of a few other boards that have nothing to do with the Saints and the general feeling is pretty much the same as it is here. The optics are bad, there's no way around that and if they don't shelve their arrogance and start really trying to fix the issue then they are going to start losing more fans than just the Saints. Because, whether there's any truth to the NFL influencing outcomes or not, fans will begin souring on the product more & more.

As for favorable outcomes, do you really not understand how building a stronger Los Angeles fanbase would be favorable to the league? Think about this: what was the first thing nearly 100% of Saints fans did after we won the Superbowl? I know I went and stood in line at 11:00 at night to buy a championship hat. But we're a small market, LA is the largest market in the NFL right now and it's fanbase is among the wealthiest. They win a Superbowl and you start building a generational fanbase, just like we did here in New Orleans, only their market is multitudes larger than ours. That is a hugely favorable outcome for the league.

Last edited:
I would agree, but then you also have to take into account the no call that went for a TD.

Yeah, the ending stunk, but the refs were incompetent from the jump. Goodell probably didn’t even have to pay them.
Everyone keeps mentioning that, but no one mentions the no call that netted the Rams a TD in the 1st half. The line after that was, "the refs are letting them play". Does that only count for Rams players? There were no calls all game, they WERE letting them play....until it really mattered.

Everyone keeps mentioning that, but no one mentions the no call that netted the Rams a TD in the 1st half. The line after that was, "the refs are letting them play". Does that only count for Rams players? There were no calls all game, they WERE letting them play....until it really mattered.
Or the no-call when Jalen Ramsey was yanking the Bengals players' jersey in the endzone in the first half preventing a touchdown. The same exact thing that was called against the Bengals at the end of the game. You can't call one & not the other.

That phantom “holding” call on the rams last drive was pathetic. I’m definitely NOT a conspiracy guy, but that was awfully sketchy and conveniently timed.
That's the thing. It was perfect pass defense. A horrible call at the MOST pivotal moment of the game. I don't want to hear about the uncalled OPI b/c Ramsey was grabbing and holding jersey all game. The refs established the standard early on: We're going to let them play. Then, when the Rams needed to be bailed out, the standard suddenly changed to, "We're going to call defensive holding no matter what."

Illegal hands to the face. Donald gets away with murder.

But the Bengals could not adjust to the Rams defense. They had plenty of opportunities. They kept going empty and it wasn’t working. Didn’t even try underneath slants to counter the pass rush. Burrow has to grow where he doesn’t prefer spread concepts.

So angry that the Rams won. McVay is trash and so is Donald. Cooper Kupp is overrated.

Why don’t we see any holding or PI penalties on the Rams? It won’t matter. LA is not a football city. And for all the super bowls the Rans have they just don’t have a legacy. This team was a dream team, pro bowl roster. No connection to the fans. It’s all just glitz and glamor.
Kupp is over rated? Sorry after that you lost all credibility. He lead the league in catches, yards and touchdowns. Wish we had an over rated reciever like that.

Not sure about all that conspiracy (though it is legit to consider) but at the very least, there is a mandate to keep games to the wire, which is what got us killed. Guess we should have had better defense. As for the Bengals, they never stood a chance the way that call was made.
Yea I shy away from a "mandate conspiracy" to more of a "drip down" conspiracy. Word filters down the goodell hated SP so marginal calls went against us. I think similarly word filters down that we would like to hand the Lombardi to the Rams. It is just too coincidental when the calls occur. Saints ready to go to the SB with the right call and it's not made. Rams need a TD and a bogus holding call.

Maybe it's nothing......... {sarcasm}

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom