Goodell,s press conference (if you can call it that) Mod edit... (1 Viewer)

I don't think anyone feels an owner should be made to hire someone they don't want to hire. The frustration, as I see it, is the fact that 15 jobs opened up this year (HC and GM) and not one minority was deemed qualified enough for one of those positions. On the surface, that's a bit hard to believe.

The fact that a guy like Lovie Smith went unhired or did not garner significant interest is insane to me.

There has not been a single non-inhouse minority head coaching hire since 2007 in Mike Tomlin, who was not coincidentally hired by the man/family who made the Rooney Rule.

I agree, owners should hire whoever they want. But this isn't something that we should turn a blind eye to just because "it's 2013." Many of the owners out there doing the hiring don't quite operate subconsciously as if "it's 2013." To put it in simple terms, there are a lot of old white men that grew up at a different time doing the hiring. They may not be blatant "racists," but subconsciously, they may feel more comfortable having a traditional, white coach.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Makes a lot of sense. I was a little confused about why there was so much negativity toward the hires. Thanks for helping me understand it more.

The Rooney rule does not require anyone to hire a minority. It requires that the team interview at least one minority or pay a fine for not doing so.

I know that, I just was a little confused on why people were so upset by it.

Lol and his answer was probably the DUMBEST answer I've ever heard. REALLY? He justifies them being so high "because scalpers sell them at multiples of face value."

Yep! How about we keep the prices reasonable and find ways to crack down on scalpers and the black market.

The real answer is "if we did that, the NFL wouldn't make as much money."

Last edited:
I hope people are throwing tomatos and oranges at the secured stage and RG.

Why none of these so called reporters don't ask about the level of approval from the players?

Incredible. It is obvious that the players don't trust him, and nobody is asking him about that.

Nobody asking about New Orleans' perspective of the harsh punishment? That is the clear reason why they don't trust him.

This is an embarassing presser.

These reporters are not going to bite the hand that feeds them. Reporters stopped doing that a long time ago.

I'm not in the coaching culture, but it seems the issue of hiring minorities starts well before the NFL level. It isn't a racism issue, IMO. People want to win and make money, regardless of skin color. Starting in the high school ranks and even lower, are minorities seeking out grooming to enter the field of coaching? Are those skills being developed earlier in careers to enable being in the right place for college and NFL jobs? I think for whatever reason there is likely a smaller pool of qualified minority individuals who are in the right coaching circles to be considered for these jobs. Those relationships happen decades in advance of the NFL. The Rooney rule will never have its desired effect because of this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Oh just wait till next year when these reporters are in the freezing cold dump in NJ

Nope. Crickets...

Honestly, the whole thing seems stated, right down to the questions and answers.
Newsflash - it is.

Everything is does is staged - I know, I was a part of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom