Goodell: "Saints will not get 2nd round pick back because the Bounty System occurred" (paraphrased) (1 Viewer)

Well, he did exactly the same thing with the Patriots when they lost their first rounder because of Spygate. If they would have had a bad season he would have taken away their picks is the second and third round but since they made the playoffs that year they lost their first rounder. So Goodell isnt doing anything new here.

What were the conditions in the Patriots' situation? What did he say when the penalties were imposed, and was that consistent with the non-return of the draft picks that year?

More importantly, is that what he said at the outset of the 2012 season regarding the Saints--that the return or non-return of the draft pick depended on the Saints' record in the 2012 season? Or, did he say that the return or non-return of the pick depend on whether or not the Saints cooperated with the suspensions and whatever other agreements there were? Is that consistent with his non-return of the draft pick?

Basically Tags embarrassed him. If he returns the #2 then he is admitting that Tags was right.

This is personal for him. Not very commissioner like.

Shameful. I keep thinking Benson will throw his weight around on this, but I guess it isn't going to happen. To be fair, I'm not sure what he could do, but if I were in his shoes I'd be raising holy hell. Especially considering how light the Patriots got off.

I believe that's the reason our fines and penalties were do high. I think Benson and Payton got in his grill early, often, and close up. He's used to getting his uh, ring kissed, not being stood up to.

What were the conditions in the Patriots' situation? What did he say when the penalties were imposed, and was that consistent with the non-return of the draft picks that year?

More importantly, is that what he said at the outset of the 2012 season regarding the Saints--that the return or non-return of the draft pick depended on the Saints' record in the 2012 season? Or, did he say that the return or non-return of the pick depend on whether or not the Saints cooperated with the suspensions and whatever other agreements there were? Is that consistent with his non-return of the draft pick?

I was pointing out that making the penalty depend ont the team's success is not new for Goodell as he did that already in the past. In the case of the Patriots he was very clear that the success would be critical.

If you read the the quote about the possible return of our second rounder you see that Goodell never said that the Saints would get it back if the Saints would cooperate. He said that the cooperation would be necessary to even consider modifying the pick and that he would have to look at other factors then ("If they embrace the opportunity [...] the commissioner would consider whether there are factors that would support modifying the forfeiture of the team's 2013 second-round draft choice.")

I was pointing out that making the penalty depend ont the team's success is not new for Goodell as he did that already in the past. In the case of the Patriots he was very clear that the success would be critical.

If you read the the quote about the possible return of our second rounder you see that Goodell never said that the Saints would get it back if the Saints would cooperate. He said that the cooperation would be necessary to even consider modifying the pick and that he would have to look at other factors then ("If they embrace the opportunity [...] the commissioner would consider whether there are factors that would support modifying the forfeiture of the team's 2013 second-round draft choice.")

Can you post that? I don't remember all,of the extra factor stuff.

We were never getting that pick back. Goodell just wanted something to hold over our heads. And, frankly, after he had his decision overruled twice, I'm surprised he didn't try to take another one just for spite.

He's a ******* loser and will change his tune to whatever the NFL needs him to say on that certain day

Last edited by a moderator:

I also remember reading that some form of cooperation on player safety would be required. And I kept expecting to see Payton, et al in 1-2 NFL commercials on safety and we never did. I suspect that the Saints management never caved in like Goofdell expected, never admitted bounty guilt (because they weren't guilty?), and have never asked for any leniency, and all of this perturbs the Komisar. Both sides hunkered down and unfortunately for us the Herr Rog has the hammer.

It all goes back to the early days of the scam. Goofdell thought that initial reports of cash offered for injuring Farve were true as well as "bounties" for injury producing hits. And if I recall correctly the leagues rules on these issues blurs the line between PFP and PFI and refers to both as "bounties". When it became clear later that the draconian punishments for PFI was overdone since the Saints system was PFP instead, Goofdell would not back down, and our FO never would cop to PFI. So any cooperation Goofdell was expecting was thwarted by the PFP vs PFI argument.

He's withholding the draft pick for the wrong reason if he said it were dependent on the organizations cooperation. What incentive will there be for other teams to cooperate with future investigations if you will just be punished for it anyway? The only thing he ensures by doing this is that everyone will fight tooth and nails once the initial punishment has been handed out. No reason not to.

He should have said they didn't cooperate enough. Then it's fine.

Can you post that? I don't remember all,of the extra factor stuff.

NFL Communications - Discipline Upheld In Saints Bounty Matter; Financial Penalties For Individuals Could Be Reduced «

"If they embrace the opportunity and participate in a constructive way, Commissioner Goodell said he would consider mitigating the financial penalties on the individuals. In the case of the team, the commissioner would consider whether there are factors that would support modifying the forfeiture of the team’s 2013 second-round draft choice."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom