Goodell to testify before Congress re Starcaps Case (1 Viewer)

mid-city fan

Section 142
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4609222

Next week's hearing is titled, "The NFL StarCaps Case: Are Sports' Anti-Doping Programs At A Legal Crossroads?" Committee Chairman Henry Waxman, D-Calif., is concerned that the legal issues raised in the case "could result in weaker performance-enhancing drugs policies for professional sports," the committee said in a statement issued earlier this month.

This thing goes much deeper than a few player suspensions. The state vs. federal legal questions raised in this case may undermine the entire NFL drug testing policy unless the courts or Congress act.

Wow, it only took one post for that unenlightened comment to pop up.

Do you think congress should be worried about a couple of goons taking steroids or Dont you think their time would be better spent on the economy or the unemployment rate??
Call me crazy or unelightened but i choose the latter.

throw money at the problem and hope it goes away!

Wow, it only took one post for that unenlightened comment to pop up.

So, Roger Goodell and Starcaps is more important than the economy, the health care reform issue, the two wars that our country is fighting, and a myriad of other issues? Thanks for enlightening me.

It's a committee meeting, the sort of which occurs on various topics every day. The NFL has an anti-trust exemption, granted to it BY CONGRESS. The NFL practices interstate commerce, which is thus regulated by the feds. Drug testing is an aspect of labor law, which at the end of the day is governed on a federal level.

Congress at least has to LOOK at this in its committees. It's not like Goodell is going up there, stopping a vote and introducing a new bill. This is what Congress does EVERY DAY.

This is why you are unenlightened on why Congress is involved.

There was a really good thread on this earlier this week, BTW. I'll have to dig it up later.

So, Roger Goodell and Starcaps is more important than the economy, the health care reform issue, the two wars that our country is fighting, and a myriad of other issues? Thanks for enlightening me.

If you think that this is taking precedent over those issues then you failed high school civics.

Oh, it should be noted that I don't like that it's gotten to this level, but that's how these things work out sometimes.

It's a committee meeting, the sort of which occurs on various topics every day. The NFL has an anti-trust exemption, granted to it BY CONGRESS. The NFL practices interstate commerce, which is thus regulated by the feds. Drug testing is an aspect of labor law, which at the end of the day is governed on a federal level.

Congress at least has to LOOK at this in its committees. It's not like Goodell is going up there, stopping a vote and introducing a new bill. This is what Congress does EVERY DAY.

This is why you are unenlightened on why Congress is involved.

There was a really good thread on this earlier this week, BTW. I'll have to dig it up later.

You aren't getting it. Congress's role in this is from the very beginning is just a dog and pony show. They get to hang out with famous athletes and look like they are doing something worthwhile and protecting us from dangerous drug taking ball players!!!!! Not to mention that the NFL has been DEAD WRONG on this Star Caps issue from day one and they should just drop the case already. Too much time has been taken up with this already.

Oh, and you are wrong. Labor laws vary greatly by state. Which is why this whole thing is a mess anyway.

Oh, and you are wrong. Labor laws vary greatly by state. Which is why this whole thing is a mess anyway.

Exactly, otherwise there would not be a discrepancy between our players and the Williams', which would leave the Minnesota courts out of it and the ordeal would have already been settled.
I am not happy that this has been drawn out to this extent, and even less happy that it is on the Federal Governments doorstep, but I am hopeful that someone will slap the NFL in the back of the head and show them how they have handled this so bad.

I hate to say it, but even the "police" have to be policed.

And this is not a steroid issue, it is a masking agent issue...NONE of these players involved in this case are being accused of taking steroids!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom