Goodell's new rule.... (1 Viewer)

Is he really the really the worst commissioner ever? I mean he sucks for fans don't get me wrong, but he answers to the owners so realistically he is being the bad guy implementing every little thing that hurts the game/fans/players in favor of making/saving money for the owners while doing what... how many of you gave up your season tickets? ...other teams haven't felt the force of these decisions like us so unlikely other teams fans are leaving in droves. Most teams have waiting lists a mile long. Some have to pay for rights to buy their tickets! They can charge over $100 for a synthetic material jersey worth about $15 and don't even get started on other branded gear which usually means shoddy quality @ a 2000% mark up. They have leverage and they are using it to extract every cent possible. It's the same reason we have anti-monopoly laws in ever other sector. They may call him a commissioner, but he is not like a state gaming commissioner or other public commissions. This is simply a title for the highest executive employed by the NFL with the emphasis on executive. He's arguably the best NFL Commissioner ever. Only time will tell if these decisions have a long term negative impact, but right now he maximizing their profits at everyone else's expense. If he had shareholders to answer to instead of owners Wallstreet would be giving him awards.

Outside of the referee debacle, it's hard to realistically argue with any of this.

Waivers are okay to protect the league to a certain point regarding lawsuits...but lawyers are slimy and work dillengently to circumvent the system to continue to sue league on the behalf of the players' interests

That's another debate entirely. There are unethical folks in all professions. Lawyers always seem to get that label, or they are dirty or greedy. Truly though, when someone wrecks a life through negligence or through malice or deprivation of civil rights, etc., the surest way to try to make whole again what was damaged is through your right to a civil trial. A lawyer is the person that can deliver a remedy for the damage.

I've seen it over and again where folks who are sure that lawsuit abuse is prevalent and rampant end up in court. Because when it's someone who they love whose been injured or harmed or denied civil rights or, they themselves are the victims, that stance on lawsuit abuse changes.

Great example: the local head of the Chamber of Commerce, as is the case throughout the USA, was one of the most vocal representatives of the ("perceived") lawsuit abuse lobby. But when a neighbor who was practicing archery, in a very small yard, recklessly put an arrow through his son's leg causing extensive and severe injury, and that neighbor then refused to take blame or help with medical expenses, the head of the Chamber of Commerce took the neighbor to court and sued him for the damages.

And what other recourse did he have? Dueling has been outlawed for quite some time. That's why it's called civil law. In a civilization as large and diverse as this USA, it can't be left to individual citizens to exact their own justice. We use the civil court system. That's where you can find some of the finest, most honorable and decent folks around: Lawyers and judges and jurists. It's great day to be alive in the USA.

Being born and raised there, I can relate to how it sometimes feels like there is no other place in the world, but there is a world outside of Southern Louisiana.

Idk what you're talking about..I don't live in southern Louisiana. And idk where your statement came from.

Idk what you're talking about..I don't live in southern Louisiana. And idk where your statement came from.

It originated from your quoting-- in bold--of my statement "I'm confident I'm not alone in considering those enhancements to the game" and then as a reply you wrote : "Obviously" above a posted picture of the "Do Not Serve this Man" Roger Goodell.

It's an easy connection to draw. I say I'm not alone in thinking the rules enhance the game. You reply "Obviously" as a contranym/sarcasm by pointing out the overwhelming sentiment in New Orleans-- aka Southern Louisiana-- and I point out that just because it's the sentiment of the entire region doesn't mean it carries over throughout the rest of the country.

It originated from your quoting-- in bold--of my statement "I'm confident I'm not alone in considering those enhancements to the game" and then as a reply you wrote : "Obviously" above a posted picture of the "Do Not Serve this Man" Roger Goodell.

It's an easy connection to draw. I say I'm not alone in thinking the rules enhance the game. You reply "Obviously" as a contranym/sarcasm by pointing out the overwhelming sentiment in New Orleans-- aka Southern Louisiana-- and I point out that just because it's the sentiment of the entire region doesn't mean it carries over throughout the rest of the country.

I don't know. I'm not hearing a lot of positives positives on the RB rule and most of Pittsburgh friends feel about the same as us. Only the people form Atlanta seem to stand up for him and that's mainly haterade from watching him slam us.

Next thing we know Goodell will extend the fair catch rule to cover passing plays.

I don't know. I'm not hearing a lot of positives positives on the RB rule and most of Pittsburgh friends feel about the same as us. Only the people form Atlanta seem to stand up for him and that's mainly haterade from watching him slam us.

I'm in Steelers country too. For Christmas my game day buds pitched in for a Christmas present that I received from them: it was a Saints hard hat, a 6 pack of beer and a bottle of artificial tears eye drops.

RG is easily and by light years, the best commissioner in pro sports today. If the NFL didn't believe in everything he's doing, he wouldn't have a job. He works for the owners.

He has made their sport the most viable on the planet, and has ensured, through these safety innovations, that the NFL is going to spend alot less time in court rooms later on. He provides them with fat TV contracts, a very owner-friendly CBA, and anything that the shield touches turns to gold.

You might not like him for personal reasons, but there is no doubt that the people he works for love him.

RG is easily and by light years, the best commissioner in pro sports today. If the NFL didn't believe in everything he's doing, he wouldn't have a job. He works for the owners.

He has made their sport the most viable on the planet, and has ensured, through these safety innovations, that the NFL is going to spend alot less time in court rooms later on. He provides them with fat TV contracts, a very owner-friendly CBA, and anything that the shield touches turns to gold.

You might not like him for personal reasons, but there is no doubt that the people he works for love him.

In politics it's : get your message out and get it out again and then repeat it.

Nice job :ezbill:

It's more like the NFL succeeds in spite of Goodell. All of his miscues (or owner directed miscues) can only put minor dents in the product. But somehow I believe you know that already and couldn't resist a shot at doing some trolling.

It's more like the NFL succeeds in spite of Goodell. All of his miscues (or owner directed miscues) can only put minor dents in the product. But somehow I believe you know that already and couldn't resist a shot at doing some trolling.

Basically, I have eyes. I look at the NHL, NBA and MLB, and I see how awful their product is compared to years past, and that is due, in large part, to poor leadership. The NFL is the only sport that can claim that the quality of play and the level of talent is greater than it was 20-25 years ago. That is due in no small part to the leadership from the top down in the sport. The NFL leads the way for the NCAA, the high school ranks, and ultimately down to the pee wee leagues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom