goodwin agrees to contract (1 Viewer)

I really like Faine and am going to miss him. Clearly the staff feels Goodwin is the starter to give him that kind of money.

Look I may be wron about Jake and to be honest I probubly am but I know enough about football to say that Goodwin was much better then Faine last season and is definately a better run blocker. Why would we show the NFL that we have two good C and allow someone to take both.

Look I may be wron about Jake and to be honest I probubly am but I know enough about football to say that Goodwin was much better then Faine last season and is definately a better run blocker. Why would we show the NFL that we have two good C and allow someone to take both.

Goodwin is a better center? You sure about that? I would wager that Faine graded out better than Goodwin, that is the why he was starting over Goodwin.
The FO signing Goodwin over Faine has nothing to do which one is a better center, because if that was the case, then Faine would have been signed long ago and Goodwin would be walking.
The FO signed Goodwin over Faine is because Faine wants top center money....and he will get it...why? He is a very good center and a team with a need will over pay. Is he better than Goodwin? Yes, he is. If he wasn't, Brees would not have said he really wanted him back. Honestly, I was not that impressed with Goodwin, but he might develop. I dont' want to give Faine that type of money either, but I have a feeling that we will wish we did next season, or do we sign a starter in FA or draft one.....creating another need area on a team that already has several.

Everyone on this board was looking for reason why our running game struggled at the beginning of the season and then Faine went down and we had a couple of decent games while Goodwin was in, so that must be the problem. Goodwin is better than Faine! Now the coaching staff is trying to hide it by starting Faine when he comes back so we can re-sign him on the cheap. It only costs us some games and three of our starting running backs....makes perfect sense. All to sign a center (maybe or maybe not a starter) on the cheap......

It's all in how the team values the position.. We got Faine on the cheap a few years ago.. I think he was still in his rookie contract.. Now he's wanting to get paid.. No problems there, everyone wants to get paid.. It's just that the team feels they have a competent replacement that costs less.. This allows us to spend money elsewhere.. As long as Goodwin can come close to matching Faine's play, we've probably improved the team..

Why would we show the NFL that we have two good C and allow someone to take both.
Faine wants more money than we're willing to give. The front office feels that a balance between talent and money can be made to improve the team overall by giving Goodwin a smaller contract to allow for more money to be spent elsewhere on the team.

I wouldn't anoint Goodwin the starter yet. The draft hasn't even started...

Faine wants more money than we're willing to give. The front office feels that a balance between talent and money can be made to improve the team overall by giving Goodwin a smaller contract to allow for more money to be spent elsewhere on the team.

I wouldn't anoint Goodwin the starter yet. The draft hasn't even started...

+1.

But if the Goodwin contract is the 3-year 8 million, then wouldn't that show that he might be the starter?

Either way, I think the Saints will take a OL in the draft somewhere. Now we know why they were looking at Centers at the Senior Bowl.

I heard this morning on Sirius that Goodwin's deal was 3 years / $8.25m with $3m in signing bonus money.. Sounds like the type of deal you give to someone getting a shot at starting.. If it works out, great, you've got a center on the cheap.. If not, it's not that much money spent..

Wow...the Saints saved a ton when you compare what the Bucs paid for Faine!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom