Google Fiber speedtest in Kansas City test market (1 Viewer)

I think that I am paying for 20mbps or so.
2510452706.png

Screw $70. I'd easily pay north of $250/month for that kind of speed. In a heart beat.

I know Google says that this build in KC is just a "test" type of thing, but I wonder what kind of planning is going on behind the curtain as far as expansion? They have to realize how many people would slap their mama for service of this nature.

Schmidt said they have no plans at all of stopping in KC even this year. While no longer CEO I think his word on it is as good as official that it's the start of the rollout.

Eric Schmidt Says Google Fiber Won't Stop With Kansas City | Wired Business | Wired.com

Speaking at The New York Times‘ Dealbook Conference on Wednesday, Schmidt corrected himself after initially referring to the first, and thus far only, Google Fiber network as an experiment.

“It’s actually not an experiment; we’re actually running it as a business,” Schmidt said. He described the influx of bandwidth hungry startups to the parts of Kansas City where the fiber has been laid and hinted at expansion of the service to “hopefully more cities.”

Sadly, Schmidt dodged the all-important question of where. “We’re trying to decide now,” he said.

I think mid-sized NFL/NBA type cities are the most likely. I doubt they go for huge ones the valley or NYC or Los Angeles until the kinks are definitely out and they figure out they won't blow it or wind up not getting enough back out of it.

Oh this is good news.

Unfortunately, I doubt rural areas will ever get such nice fiber set ups. Perhaps one day technology will catch up to us in the rural areas.

In the past 18 months there have been 3 different companies putting down fiber on the main road rightaways throughout our area, within 1/4 mile from my house. Two I know are affiliated with C Spire and Verizon but not sure about the third.

So I ask, how is the fiber made available to the end user? I know that Comcast is aerial, so will the Fiber provider have to bury cabling in ground from their mains?

eatel has been running fiber along the roads near my house, but i've yet to see anything about them offering service.

I really want this service but their not offering it in my area yet. As soon as they do, im putting in the order for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom