Google Fiber speedtest in Kansas City test market (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
YvlaAxQ.jpg

Here is a Google Fiber user describing his experience with using it.

Fiber user here. I've crossed the threshold into a new plane. This plane has a checkerboard pattern spanning the horizon, and it's full of reflective orbs. Every step I take I feel the internet on my now-immortal skin.

On the first day I could hardly comprehend the infinity. It happens to every Kansan, this feeling of "I - humanity - actually knows nothing compared to this." Many were driven to suicide from this revelation, but you would never have heard about it. We're simply in another dimension, where mortal news cannot report.

I feel no hunger, no thirst. My mortal afflictions are below me. I can't describe what it feels to be part of the Internet, in the literal sense, in any known language. We know no pain on this checkerboard plane.

I'm fairly certain that's only a few percentage points of hyperbole.

The entrenched TelCos have been sitting on their collective butts for years enjoying the near-monopoly, never seeking to better the internet they provide to their customers and never passing on the cost savings to the customer as the price of providing Internet constantly got cheaper.

What Google has done here has fundamentally lowered the cost of building and deploying a network. As more cities are added, it will continue to pummel existing ISPs on price and service.

Google Fiber offers 1 gigabit uploads and downloads for the relatively low cost of $70 per month. You can also pay a one time $300 fee to have them set up 5MB UL/DL speeds that have no monthly fee. It's free after the $300.

To put Google Fiber’s 1 gigbit connection in context, the average U.S. broadband service tops out at about 5.8 megabits per second, making Google Fiber roughly 100 times faster than most Americans’ Internet speeds, according to Google.

It may be years until we see Google Fiber in New Orleans. Until we do, Cox/Comcast will continue to make as much money as they can until they are forced to be competitive.

I cannot wait to drop Cox once this comes to my city.

City of Lafayette has fiber, although Cox and Bellsouth did everything to halt it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:worthy:

though i doubt it will ever make it's way to nola. this is basically a project to prove by google that fast, reliable, and affordable high-speed broadband is possible. though, baton rouge was on the finalists list for cities to be chosen..

Stupid thread. I should red thumb wdf. Made me wind up checking out if they'd expanded plans in my area and there is a new one for 100/month to get 5 up 50 down, pretty much double what I get now :( Now TWC is gonna shut up and take my money.

Stupid thread. I should red thumb wdf. Made me wind up checking out if they'd expanded plans in my area and there is a new one for 100/month to get 5 up 50 down, pretty much double what I get now :( Now TWC is gonna shut up and take my money.

i red thumbed him for you. i think he liked it.

I signed up to be notified when it's available at my address. Sometime around 2017 they should get around to rural Washington.

When are they going to start expanding to other cities?

I just had a conversation yesterday with ATT Uverse. We have the Elite package which is supposed to give us a minimum of 6 Mbps but my speed test was only showing 4.5 Mbps. Interesting statement from India? was that they only have to give me 85% of the 6 Mbps to be in compliance with our agreement. I asked why you are selling me 6 when you should then be selling me 5 and just promise 5. I was told I should have read the fine print to which I said that is hard to do when you are selling the product over the phone and your people specifically quote 6.

They rebooted the system from their end and the speed jumped up to 5.76 Mbps.

Will we ever have a day where companies are required to tell the truth or be guilty of fraud?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom