Google Maps "Hack" (1 Viewer)

therod

MOAR
Reaction score
This is a pretty neat little trick I found on another website.
(which has some questionable material on it so I won't post it here)

Select a location and switch to satellite view

Zoom in as far as you can, and click “link to this page” at the top right

Now replace the “z” parameter in the URL with a higher value, e.g. 20, 22, or 23, and wait. Some locations will now show more detailed imagery.

Here is one of the most impressive ones I have seen. The quality is actually a bit better
than this .jpeg since I had to lower the res to be able to post it here. I also highlighted the “z” parameter in the URL.

attachment.php

I don't know why some place in the middle of Chad, Africa is that close up but...?

Anyway I thought it was pretty cool. The only place I have tried so far that worked
is Vegas since not every place on the map will work.

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Ah, you have to hit "link to this page", now I see.

I had an address in there. If you click the link I posted, it doesn't transfer the address. But the address was there- and in satellite mode. But if you don't hit "link to this page" it doesn't give you the full coordinates to be able to adjust the Z.

I just tried the same address but it couldn't go further. I'll try another one. At least I can adjust the Z now. Thanks.

I

Have you found any places in the US where it works?

Not like that place in Chad. It does work in LasVegas. I haven't really tried anywhere else so far. I'm at "work" :winknudge:

Most of the bigger cities that I tried, New York, LA, don't zoom in more than 20, 21, or 22.

Now I'm determined to find a good image with this.

Moo cows! Cute! :D

Edit: Or maybe they're goats? The shadows don't look right.

Ok so I zoom in on the Belaggio in Vegas, it works like a champ. Nothing else San Fran, Hollywood, French Rivera, Sydney Aus, Monoco, Greece, ...nothing.
So I try to go to the place with the camels by zooming in on the coordinates that were searched. (15.298683 19.429651). I get it to work but there is no detail for this area except a small brick. The photo you included. But.. I notice on the edge of the photo there is 2 nomad looking chaps on the edge, and they are both looking up. At what? The satalite. It was a plane or some type of aircraft that took the image.

Sydney, Australia, works really well. Some places will go to 23 without the hack.

It didn't work on my house but I was able to determine by the picture that it was taken in the spring of 2005. The last picture that google had was quite old.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom