Google Stadia: "High-end" high-res games (streaming) without the hardware (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
All you need is a screen and a data connection. And possibly a controller.
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/03/19/google-new-game-streaming-service-stadia.html
Google on Tuesday announced its plans to upend the $140 billion gaming industry dominated by Sony and Microsoft with a new streaming service called Stadia that allows people to play high-end games without purchasing expensive consoles or computers. Google said this is a "game platform for everyone."
All of the legwork to render those games is done in Google's cloud.

Google explained a bit about how it will work. The company said that if someone is watching a video of a game on YouTube, they could hit a button that says "play now" and jump right into playing the game themselves in as fast as five seconds. Today, gamers have to buy physical games or wait, often hours, for the game to download before they can play. Even then, they also need special hardware to play those games.

Google said Stadia will launch in 2019 starting in the United States, Canada, the U.K. and "most of Europe." It didn't say how much it will cost gamers to use the service.
The company said Stadia will run on "any screen type" but it will work on desktops, laptops, TVs, tablets and phones at launch. There's no box at all.

"With Stadia, the data center is your platform," Google said. A gamer can start on one platform and then pick up where they left off on another device, which means you might game on your computer and then continue on your phone when you leave the house.

i mean, it's a good idea but streaming video games isn't really ideal where timing is everything....

and the last time someone tried to 'upend' the gaming industry, we had motion controls on everything....thankfully, that didn't last

Along with antipop, I see a couple issues.

1. Lag. Lag. LAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Massive data usage. streaming HD TV is a huge data suck, and a lot of internet providers have put data caps on the total data you can use in a month. Current data usage for gaming is very small, because the main data is on your console.

I used to remotely connect to my work computer from my home computer (before I got a work laptop). Even with a great connection, the lag was easily noticeable. In some cases, it was awful.

It's a cool idea, if it can work, but practically speaking, I'm not sure we're there. Maybe Google Fiber could pull it off.

Along with antipop, I see a couple issues.

1. Lag. Lag. LAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Massive data usage. streaming HD TV is a huge data suck, and a lot of internet providers have put data caps on the total data you can use in a month. Current data usage for gaming is very small, because the main data is on your console.

I used to remotely connect to my work computer from my home computer (before I got a work laptop). Even with a great connection, the lag was easily noticeable. In some cases, it was awful.

It's a cool idea, if it can work, but practically speaking, I'm not sure we're there. Maybe Google Fiber could pull it off.

I'm apprehensive about lag but they say they've got it figured out. One thing that was interesting to me was that the controller connects via wifi directly to their server rather than to an interface in your home. We'll see.

As for data, we knew this sort of thing was coming. It seems crazy now but in a couple of years the ISP's will adjust their caps under pressure. They always have.

I'm interested but also leery. In some ways, I like the idea altogether. Imagine if they could really push the technological boundaries of graphics and AI. It could bring back the sense of awe we used to have at the arcade before consoles caught up to the processing power of the big machines. On the other hand, going further down the path of allowing companies like google to facilitate every aspect of technology in our lives is pretty creepy.

It will come down to how soon sub-1ms latency is common in homes.

Fiber is becoming more and more common and is absolutely capable of doing this sort of thing right now (gigabit connections, 1ms latency). DOCSIS 4 will likely push the latency envelope as well, though that’s quite a bit off. But if DOCSIS 4 ends up offering sub-1ms latency to cable internet, then most of the country will be capable of doing this sort of streaming.

I’d say honestly, it’s only about 5-7 years before this is the way games are done. We will probably only get one more generation of consoles as we know it that don’t involve streaming in some fashion.

I’d say Google is timing this just about right to get out in front of the crowd but not be too early for the technology to be possible.

Also, everyone’s concerned about ping lag, but FPS lag will likely be a thing of the past, as we will all have Google/Amazon/Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony’sdata centers as effectively our home consoles. There’s so much more possible here on the hardware end than consoles in the home can provide.

"Fiber can do it..."

I'm sure it can, but only if it's up and running... Right now I'm in Day 2 of at least three days without home internet due to the fiber system going down. This is the second time in two month and I forget how many days it was down the first time. Likely a local (neighborhood) hardware issue due to storms that passed through early Monday morning...

We've had it for ~3months.

I don't know if I'm really talking about the same thing or what, but for some time, I've thought it would be cool to have games that aren't reflex-intensive (Civilization or turn-based RPGs) where you're linked to some central account and if you happen to be stuck in a line or away from your computer (like at your parents' house for the holidays or whatever), you can access your ongoing save and pound out a few rounds or piddle around without having to e-mail yourself your save game file or whatnot. This seems like a system that would be good for that type of thing.

ok, i've used mone twice since the day it launched.

i imagined it being a great travel buddy. unfortunately, the forked up arse way the wifi/lan work on this piece of sheet makes it a terrible travel device.

i'll just add this to my pile of mini systems.

ok, i've used mone twice since the day it launched.

i imagined it being a great travel buddy. unfortunately, the forked up arse way the wifi/lan work on this piece of shirt makes it a terrible travel device.

i'll just add this to my pile of mini systems.

Did you spoof you MAC address with a laptop like I told you to?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom