Google Voice (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Looks like they're giving out invites to non-Grand Central users. Anyone have access? How do youlike it? I'm kinda anxious to play around with this. I probably need to import contacts from Outlook to make it useful.

I'm liking that I can stay in touch with those who call my office phone (where I rarely spend any time) without giving out my cellphone.

Do the transcribed voicemails work well?

I am interested in seeing the evolution of this, but the ability to port phone numbers into it is a must even before I start playing with it. I really want to know why Google secured millions of phone numbers in the first place, because it seems that most people would be in the same camp as myself in regards to porting numbers. I don't want to play the forward/forward game.

I signed up for it as a matter of curiosity. Haven't tried it yet, though.

Seems to me that the biggest benefit might be to completely abstract your telephone number away. This would allow people to cancel their cellphones at the end of their 2 year contracts and take advantage of the much better new contract deals in place on the likes of Amazon, NewEgg. All you have to do is point the Google number to your new number, and don't have to update your number with anyone else.

That is, of course, if you're comfortable with Google routing and controlling your voice data.

I am interested in seeing the evolution of this, but the ability to port phone numbers into it is a must even before I start playing with it. I really want to know why Google secured millions of phone numbers in the first place, because it seems that most people would be in the same camp as myself in regards to porting numbers. I don't want to play the forward/forward game.
Well, one benefit would be for me to get a number that's published in Monroe or Hot Springs where many family member's reside, that way they can call me without calling 225.

Well, one benefit would be for me to get a number that's published in Monroe or Hot Springs where many family member's reside, that way they can call me without calling 225.

That's the spirit. If you're lucky, you can find a 4 letter/number mnemonic for the last 4 digits.

Nah, I spent 30 minutes looking and settled on the last four digits of 1818.

This is a very old thread, so I assume you've been using Google Voice for 11 years. I'm thinking of getting it. What are the pros and cons?

This is a very old thread, so I assume you've been using Google Voice for 11 years. I'm thinking of getting it. What are the pros and cons?

I don’t use Google Voice everyday but I’ve had plenty of phone calls with it and the call quality is great, just like making a regular call.

You could totally cancel your cell voice service and just use data with Google Voice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom