Gotta ask y'all something (Dempsey kick) (1 Viewer)

WOW ...Thanks, Bill... everybody! for the memories of the wonderful almost fantasy-like moment frozen in time but still warms our hearts !!! ... I was 31....sigh

Was there, sitting in the endzone that the Saints kicked toward. You should have seen the fans trying to come back in the stadium while they lined up to kick.

Family legend. I was about 18 months and my mom didn't go because she was home pregnant with my brother. It was my first Saints game and my grandpa and dad were there. I don't remember anything, but the legend goes that I had stripped off my clothes and managed to get a splinter in my butt and they were attending to me during the kick. When we lost to the Eagles in the playoffs in 92, my granddaddy was at his last game. He told me as we were leaving that the dome needed wooden bleachers so I could have had another splinter.

I was there. Was 7 years old. We lived 3 1/2 blocks from Tulane Stadium. I used to have the stub from the game. It was claimed by Hurricane Katrina along with most everything else. We were on the west side upper deck. First section starting the horseshoe. Row three. Gawd it used to shake something fierce. I have many fond memories of that stadium. My friends and I used to sneak in and run the ramps and occasionally play on the field. Turf was indeed very hard.

Last edited:
thats awesome and must have made for a great memory. I was there for the Dome re-opening, but missed the other "big" ones...like the first game with Gilliam returning the kick, or "Hakim drops the ball!"

I was watching it at home and when he made it my brothers and I started jumping and screaming and my mother ran us out the house. We we high on adrinalin for about two hours.

I was at Tulane stadium -- it was amazing -- but let me ask a follow-up question -- who was at the game the following week and who bought the single that was being sold. It had the actual announcers on 1 side and a special song about it on the other. I had it but after all of that time it went the way of lots of things lost in the closet

Was at a friends house playing outside. His father yelled at us to come watch the replay. I was about 10 or 11 years old.

I was just about 3, and how with my mom who was pregnant. My dad was there... she was listening on the radio as well, and she remembers the audio dropping out as well.

She was screaming, "What happened? What happened?" when the audio came back with Al Wester's call, "It's good! It's good! The Saints have won!"

She thought she was going to go into labor right then...

It would be about two more years before my memories of Tulane Stadium would begin...

I was there in the opposite end zone. Funny, I can picture the Al Dodd catch in my mind like it was yesterday but not so much the kick itself.

I remember the guy in front of us was making us mad throughout the game because he was cheering both for and against the Saints because of his pool numbers. He left the game with a smile on his face after the Lions scored and gave him "winning" numbers -- I have always wished I could have been there when he heard that the Saints won.

I "earned" the right to see that kick -- my dad would never leave games early and we were there for every snap of the 62-7 butt-kicking that Atlanta gave us on opening day in 1973.

Always love these history questions... I was mid teens... had been a Saints Fan from the beginning and had never missed a game (only missed 4 home games now in 41 years).. The thing that always comes back to me is I almost missed that game... I had gone to a HS dance the night before and got in around 2... In those days it took almost 4 hours from Lafayette to NO... Dad woke me up around 6 and I really did not want to get out of bed...Finally I did...

The thing I remember most is running down the steps at Tulane Stadium trying to get on the field... There was a very low fence but the security guards stopped me... well for awhile.. A few people made it.. I finally did but only got to the bench before being horse collared by a cop... He was cool tho... Just said comeon kid.. I know you are excited but dont make me run you in...

JD Roberts' first game if memory serves me correctly... the crowd was sort of tame for Saints fans during those days... Some had left but the place absolutely exploded... We used to have to rid a bus from where we parked on Napolean...The bus was rocking......... anway... it was awesome

I've always said that had to be the most watched game in NFL history. By my guess Tulane stadium held 847,362 people back then. Outside of this board, I have never met anyone old enough that was not at that game. I find it amazing that there used to be that many seats in that stadium and they tore it down.:D

C. I Wasn't alive for it, but I have heard all about it.

BTW, that Lions team that the Saints beat on that famous day, were they any good that year or were they also mediocre?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom