Gotta ask y'all something (Dempsey kick) (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
If you ask the average Joe on the street, they might tell you they were at the game when Dempsey kicked the NFL-record field goal. It's hilarious if you speak with someone today who said they were at the game in the Superdome. :hihi:

But most are honest, and say that they either heard it on the radio (...I think on WWL), read about it in the Times Picayune, saw the highlights on TV, or heard about it from someone else.

No, I cannot lie --I was at home listening to it on the radio. And as I recall, just before the kick went through the upright, THE BLASTED AUDIO WENT SILENT! :mad: Anyone else remember that? I sure do. If I recall correctly, somebody said something about a swarm of bees in the transmitter or something like that caused the outage. But the station re-aired the play later for all to celebrate.

Anyway, a couple of things here. The link (below) is on YouTube. If you listen carefully, you can actually hear a "HUSH" come over the crowd as Scarpati sets the ball for the kick. It's almost as though you can sense 70,000 people holding their breath. Then, as the ball descends towards the uprights, you can hear the fans increase in anticipation ...then ROAR as the official lifts his hands "good."

May have to listen a couple or three times to catch this effect. Some of the old archives don't match the sound with the video, ...but this one does PERFECTLY. :9:

And also, many recall everybody hugging and crying with total strangers. And even more amazing is that this was during a time that racial tensions were high in America... but at least that day, if you were a Saints fan ---nearly everybody at Tulane stadium was color-blind.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, when Dempsey kicked that historic field goal, were you

a. even born?
b. listening to it at home?
c. not able to listen, and learned about it later?
d. at the game (if you were, please provide a few snippets of what it was like).

Here's the link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=zrxTjgFYoU8

:gosaints:

Last edited:
Not born but it was my dad's birthday and he was at Tulane Stadium for it.

I have a great story about the game.

I went to the game with my dad and my sisters. When the Lions scored to take the lead, my dad was disgusted and said "let's go home". So we left.

Of course, we heard the tremendous roar of the crowd while walking toward Claiborne Ave. As the original poster noted, the radio coverage went out so no one on the ground knew what happened.

This is now a family legend. At every sporting event we attend, someone will say in the 4th quarter or 7th inning, "come on, let's go home".

So even though I was at the game, I didn't see the kick live. :hihi:

I was there. I was getting up to leave and ended up watching from the ramp. Three things I remember vividly.

1. Great catch by Al Dodd to put us in position and he got out of bounds to stop the clock.
2. Thinking how ridiculous it looked to be lining up for a field goal at our own 37 yard line! (The goal posts were on the goal line in those days)
3. Alex Karras slamming his helmet to the ground after the kick.

I was coming home from The Parish after visiting my relatives. We left a few minutes before the kick. As Dempsey kicked it, the radio went out. We did not hear the ending. About two ot three minutes later, we heard it. So, if someone said that the sound went out, it happened to me.

i was both a. and c. However my dad WAS there, and he said that most of the people had already left. I have to believe my own father!!!!

i wasnt born yet, but my grandfather watched it. that was the last saints game he went to in person until last year, when i took him to the superdome for the first time to see us beat the eagles. he loved it.

Yeah...

I was 10 years old and was listening at home when (as you correctly recalled) the audio of the radio broadcast went dead.

However, I distinctly remember that there was a few brief seconds after the first moments of agonizing silence where Al Wester's voice BLASTED (because I was turning the volume knob all the way up) with the words, "It's GOOD! It's GOOD!", only to immediately return to the haunting hum of a dead radio once again.

Until WWL replayed the audio after the game, I did not know any of the details of the kick, only that the kick was good.

I had actually recorded the rebroadcast of Wester's call with my cassette recorder and played it back hundreds of times until I was able to imitate every word and emotional expression of that moment.

I don't know if I have EVER hugged my mom as hard as I did upon hearing those few brief words of elation on Nov. 8th 1970!

:9:

I passed up a ticket offer to go to the game. However, I lived close to the stadium and could only wonder what the unbelievable roar was about.

I have some audio on an old cassette of Larry Matson and Al Wester reminiscing about it, telling the story about the bees, and replaying Wester's call.

About your original post, I forgot to add...

The changes in audio level that you hear is part of the editing that was done to fit the video. That video is running at a slower than live speed and the audio has been adjusted to fit the timing of the action.

Since I remember every moment of the original audio clip (which I had recorded from WWL's playback) I can assure you that much of the original audio from the time that the Saints lined up for the play until the ball cleared the crossbar is not included in that clip.

It was always fun to hear how Al Wester built up the anticipation of the kick even at one point before the snap of the ball he exclaimed, "This is the most exciting moment in Saints history!"

Little did he know just how exciting that moment was about to become!

:hihi:

It was truly an incredible moment in Saints history! :9:

my brothers left early and missed it...

but my dad, who was sitting in another section, did see it...

i was an infant... i also missed it...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom