Gotta ask y'all something (Dempsey kick) (1 Viewer)

I'll admit that I was not there, but I do remember it. I was a little girl, and my family had season tickets. My mom stayed home with me that day because I was sick. Of course I had to get sick for THAT game!!!

But most are honest, and say that they either heard it on the radio (...I think on WWL), read about it in the Times Picayune, saw the highlights on TV, or heard about it from someone else.

CBS carried the game live on TV on KNOE, Monroe. I watched it with my father in Vidalia, LA. I was 13 years old.

Last edited:
I saw it on tv. I lived in Jackson at the time. Just getting ready to leave the house with my grandmother. I asked her her to wait for the kicker to miss the field goal before we left.

Contrary to popular belief, there were actually TV stations in Jackson and Monroe back then, outside of the blackout area and people did watch the game. :hihi:

BTW - I found an old newspaper page of the story.

You can read it for yourself here...

Picture%20306.jpg

BTW - The above Times-Piayune Special sports page is from November 5, 1995.

I was young when I saw it. I believe it was a replay. (On the day it happened) They were playing the lions, and I was interested because the lions QB was Greg Landry which I thought was cool, him having the same last name as me.

Last edited:
Like DadsDearm I was watching the game live on TV on KNOE, Monroe. It forever remains in my memory in black & white. I remember as if it were yesterday. I was in my late teens at the time.

Jan

Did it make it easier for Tom Dempsey to kick because his shoe was flat at the end because he had no toes?

Anyway, just out of curiosity, when Dempsey kicked that historic field goal, were you

a. even born?
b. listening to it at home?
c. not able to listen, and learned about it later?
d. at the game (if you were, please provide a few snippets of what it was like).

Here's the link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=zrxTjgFYoU8

:gosaints:

A-Yes, I was born in 64
B-I was on my way to church listening on the radio

I was seven years old, and my parents had bought season tickets for the first year that year - Dad, Mom, my brother (six) and me...

I remember people laughing as the Saints trotted out behind their own 50 to kick. I asked my dad what the Saints were doing, and he sighed and said, "I don't know son". Then I remember another man in front of us throwing his arms at the field as he was laughing...

Then it got really quiet, and Depmsey kicked the ball, and everyone just watched, a couple of people whistled as the ball was in the air and then mostly everyone had to wait for the referee to signal, and signal he did (the man jumped off of the ground as he threw up his hands), and then...

Ever since that day I've never experienced such a large explosive,simultaneous and collective joy since that day - I the energy was tremendous. Everywhere you looked you saw unbridled celebration...my only regret, and it's slight, is that if I was older I would have been able to appreciate it a bit more.

...I didn't even look at the Lions on the field or sideline untill the news that night.

I was also lucky enough to be alive and at the game. When the Lions kicked the field goal to go ahead 17-16, they kicked toward me in my seat right behind the south end goal post. Back then you could keep the football and we figured as long as we were going to lose, we might as well try and get the ball. It wound up about 4 rows in front of me. Then a mass exodus started taking place. My uncle was the type who would never leave a game before it was over tho'. The Saints fielded the kick right in front of me and got a pretty good return. Then Dodd's reception got it out to the 45. By this point, if there were 15000 people left in the stadium, there were a lot. When Dempsey kicked the ball away from me to the north end goal posts, I honestly couldn't tell whether he made it or not.. but the reaction from the people in the north end zone and then Karras slamming his helmet to the ground told me it was good. So if you hear someone tell you they were at the game that day, ask 'em if they saw the kick! :)

Last edited:
Honestly, I didn't follow the Saints very much at that time, but I turned on the tv and it looked like a close game, so I watched the last four or five minutes of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom