Gotta Re-sign Jameis at This Point (3 Viewers)

Yeah, that 3rd round pick will be a lot of consolation when we are watching Trevor Simien start games for another year.

Regardless, no team is throwing the bank at a guy coming off an ACL tear that had a good 6 game stretch. He’s still got a lot to prove.
Is Hill done for next year too?

Unfortunately, i think you re right. Someone will over pay for him.
I don’t think anyone is going to overpay him. He was averaging less than 200 yards thrown per game, and when measured on turnovers per pass attempt he was down at 25th in the league when he got injured (he didn’t turn the ball over much because he wasn’t allowed to pass much, but he was still below average on protecting the ball).

Not sure why people cringe over a 20 M salary for winston.

Stafford makes 27M yr
Garopollo (who was so awesome the 9ers drafted another QB) makes @27M
Derek Carr is at 25M
Wentz 32M and Goff 33M

none of these qb's are taking anybody over the edge ever to a SB win.

winston at 20M yr is a bank robbery in the saints favor.

Stafford makes 27M yr
Derek Carr is at 25M
Wentz 32M and Goff 33M

This. Jameis will get re-signed.

You don’t want to put your faith in a 33 year old player who’s one trick is running fast coming off of a major foot injury.

He’ll be ready by the start of the season, but is almost guaranteed to be slower due to his age and type of injury.

Edit: he’ll be 32 when the season starts next year. I was off by a year.

Last edited:

Stafford makes 27M yr
Derek Carr is at 25M
Wentz 32M and Goff 33M

Except to be fair, two of those QBs have literally been to the Super Bowl, 3 if you count Wentz’s pre-injury contribution to the Eagles championship season. But I agree with your point

Stafford makes 27M yr
Derek Carr is at 25M
Wentz 32M and Goff 33M

You think he'd sign for 20mil long-term in a league where QBs are starting to sign for 40+? I think he would want to sign a 1 year deal. Have a healthy season with big stats...and then sign for 40+.

Loomis can easily use the voidable years loophole to give Jameis a strong one year deal that is a cap hit spread over three or four years. If Jameis plays well, easy big bucks extension, if not, then you don't have a monster dead money hit for any single year.

I don’t think anyone is going to overpay him. He was averaging less than 200 yards thrown per game, and when measured on turnovers per pass attempt he was down at 25th in the league when he got injured (he didn’t turn the ball over much because he wasn’t allowed to pass much, but he was still below average on protecting the ball).
I'm not sure what you mean about protecting the ball because he did. I don't know if someone will overpay but the reality is the most important thing is he accomplished the goal of limiting the turnovers. No one really questioned his talent, it was whether he could cut down on the turnovers. The ball is in the Saint's court because they have to put something respectable on the table.

As a QB? He should be.

Enough is enough. He's now had three different injuries that have cost him game time in the last two years with limited time as the starter. He's 33-years-old and is below average when he's not playing the Falcons.

Putting all our eggs in the Taysom basket next year would be nuts.

Like I mentioned on another thread...I really hope we try to retain Winston as much as possible. We were a winning team with him and that's without MT and any reliable WR/TE. He has 2 seasons under CSP and knows the offense. Hopefully with MT back next season and add a couple of reliable WR's and a TE, we can definitely be in the mix for top NFC team for years (of course with our current defense still intact).

Loomis can easily use the voidable years loophole to give Jameis a strong one year deal that is a cap hit spread over three or four years. If Jameis plays well, easy big bucks extension, if not, then you don't have a monster dead money hit for any single year.

I have no interest in paying him 4 years to play 1 year. That's how we got in this mess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom