Gotta Re-sign Jameis at This Point (3 Viewers)

Who cares what most teams do? How many teams do what we do. How many of them have the record we have over the last ten years?
I've addressed that with my Pitt, KC, and NE post elsewhere. The practice is an anomaly even among Coaches/teams with similar or better records.

I'm seeing he may not make out the top 10.
I don't understand why the media keep hyping him so high. Didn't we learn anything from Trey Lance? Small school QB won't be ready year one and NFL teams won't just burddog physical talent in the top 10 like that anymore.

1st round physical talent with a 5th round resume. And I want Willis badly, but his floor is crazy low.

Agreed, Hill was never good at reading the end in the RPO - he kept it almost every time regardless of what the end was doing. it's why we don't even bother with the RPO...no point in wasting the motion if he's just going to keep it anyway.

Now we're at the "he has to throw it to keep defenses honest phase" but since is "natural" position is QB, it's kinda expected every once in a while. That's why I say, it'll be more surprising to line Kamara up at QB in the gun and either run or throw it if we want to catch someone by surprise, because AK running the ball against an expecting defense IMO > Hill and it'll definitely catch them off guard of he threw it...because it's really unexpected

You seem to miss the fact that we can have Hill and Kamarra on the field and either can run or throw. Hill could even throw to Kamarra and so the defense has to wonder.

This is not a game played by one player at a time in a vacuum and Kamarra is nowhere near the arm talent Hill has no matter how surprising it was for the D to see him line up for the snap a couple weeks ago. So, if AK lines up to take the snap, it's 99% he's running. With Hill, 70 or so.

Whatever, not even sure why I bothered with the "feeling" angle you threw into the conversation...purely from a football standpoint you mentioned that his best ability to the team is running the ball...my retort: why not leave that up to...uh a running back.

But then he's not the best RB (maybe 3rd possibly 4th best) on the team nor is he the best passer (it can be argued that he's around the 3rd best passer) then what is our attachment, is it that he actually does all of these things?

To sum it up, Offensively speaking, there are;

5 guys on the team right now that can run a better route and catch a better ball than Hill

At least 2 on the team right now that can take a handoff or direct snap that can see the field better than and carry better ball than Hill

And there were 2, now 1 under contract that could scan a field and deliver a football better than Hill

He's a Jack of all, Master of (especially NFL QB) None...there's a reason why he was a UDFA, but for some odd reason we have this attachment to the underdog type. I'm a football elitist, gimme the Heisman Winning #1 Draft prospect with the higher ceiling any day.
I am happy keeping Winston as well (there is no disagreement there).

I however do find value in putting Taysom under center because it is an extension of the run game, and is good for about 5.3 yards a carry. If your upset he is giving you 5.3 a carry then that’s on you (Any normal person would be happy with a guy who gives you more than 4.0 yards on a carry, let’s alone 5+).

Give Jameis those quarterback snaps, and mix in Taysom as an extension of the run game.

Talking about a team that dominated, the Saints offense of Brees, Bush, Sproles, and PT , etc. dominated because we viewed those short screen passes, and passes out of the backfield like an extension of the run game. We use our running backs like no other team, and that’s why we are/were dominant. Sometimes thinking outside the box (like the Taysom situation) is a win, even if traditional fans can’t understand it.

Last edited:
I'd be super surprised if he makes it out of the first round.

That said, I'd rather OL and WR with the first 2 picks unless there's a can't miss bpa available at the pick.
I low key want us to go with a lineman. Keep that position strong and everything will work itself out.

You seem to miss the fact that we can have Hill and Kamarra on the field and either can run or throw. Hill could even throw to Kamarra and so the defense has to wonder.

This is not a game played by one player at a time in a vacuum and Kamarra is nowhere near the arm talent Hill has no matter how surprising it was for the D to see him line up for the snap a couple weeks ago. So, if AK lines up to take the snap, it's 99% he's running. With Hill, 70 or so.
Which is why I was disappointed when Hill got hurt. His throws looked good on Sunday. Building a chemistry with guys like Kamara and Calloway take time, it was nice to finally see it paying off.

I am happy keeping Winston as well (there is no disagreement there).

I however do find value in putting Taysom under center because it is an extension of the run game, and is good for about 5.3 yards a carry. If your upset he is giving you 5.3 a carry then that’s on you (Any normal person would be happy with a guy who gives you more than 4.0 yards on a carry, let’s alone 5+).

Give Jameis those quarterback snaps, and mix in Taysom as an extension of the run game.

Talking about a team that dominated, the Saints offense of Brees, Bush, Sproles, and PT , etc. dominated because we viewed those short screen passes, and passes out of the backfield like nobody else. We use our running backs like no other team, and that’s why we are/we’re dominant. Sometimes thinking outside the box (like the Taysom situation) is a win, even if traditional fans can’t understand it.
Jameis gets you 4.2 YPC career rushing...not that far off, and he isn't a "running QB" ran a ~5s 40.

But those old Saints offenses with Brees, Bush, Sproles, etc feasted underneath because back then defenses had to defend the entire field leaving the underneath open for RBs to gut defenses, it was a pick your poison proposition back in the day. The Hill Joker QB packages came in as a change of pace to use blunt force to push through defenses who clamped down on our short stuff. I fully understand what went down and why it did the way it did.

Some say it was to utilize the uniqueness of Hill...I along w/ a handful others know it was because of our starter's diminished ability, which our FO picked up Hill to get in front of. Just to be clear....that doesn't take anything away from what Brees did for our city and team, it's just seeing what happened for what it was.

I'd be super surprised if he makes it out of the first round.

That said, I'd rather OL and WR with the first 2 picks unless there's a can't miss bpa available at the pick.
With no Taysom Hill and Winston coming off knee surgery. I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a QB high. Which we probably should.

With no Taysom Hill and Winston coming off knee surgery. I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a QB high. Which we probably should.
If we resign Winston, I think it'll be a wasted pick. You're resigning him if you believe in him to be the long term QB...if not you're wasting everyone's time.

Eh, only if we're unable to agree to a deal with Winston. I hope they can get it sorted out before the draft starts.

A qb room with Winston, Siemian/Bortles and Book is more then doable until Hill gets healthy imo.

If we resign Winston, I think it'll be a wasted pick. You're resigning him if you believe in him to be the long term QB...if not you're wasting everyone's time.
Ehhhh... If I had the knowledge that Winston's knee will be 100% with no prolonged issues. I would agree. At this point, I like to have some insurance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom