Gov. Nikki Haley Secretary of State possibly (1 Viewer)

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Its being discussed in this thread:

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f60/good-article-candidates-trump-cabinet-361656/

I am pretty sure the media knows. While Haley did not support Trump in the primary, reportedly she was a supporter of him in the general election, however reluctantly.

Haley is a rising star in the Republican party and some thought a potential running mate for Trump. She said she wouldn't be his running mate. What is not clear is if she was out of the running when she said that, if she did it on moral grounds or of she said that because she thought he would lose and being tied to him would hurt her career.

I tend to think the latter and that had she been offered the vp spot and thought he would win, she would have been all in.

Sec of State is a plum job and a great launching pad for a presidential run. If Haley gets this job and does well, she might be the first woman president one day.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i'd actually be ok with this - she seems like a pre-Gingrich conservative (ie a real one)
she'd also be 6 bazillion times better than Mayor 911

efil4stnias

Play at your own risk
Reaction score
Whew. i saw this and thought it was the Ex Gov of Arizona for a second.

That old, crotchety woman who wears WAY too much makeup and talks in circles.

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i'd actually be ok with this - she seems like a pre-Gingrich conservative (ie a real one)
she'd also be 6 bazillion times better than Mayor 911

I don't know that much about her, but on the surface I would go with 6 bazillion better than Giuliani. That's not a high bar for me.

She gave the State of the Union reply this year and I thought did an excellent job. It was balanced, fair and concise.

Being that she is a daughter of Indian immigrants, I thought it was an interesting contrast with the reply Bobby Jindal gave to the joint session of Congress in 2009 when he was the rising star. Jindal blew his chance to shine with an absolutely clueless and awful speech.

Here is her speech. While her politics are different than mine, I was still impressed with her delivery and thought after I saw her speech that at some point she would be a player on the national stage.

Republican response to State of the Union: Transcript - CNNPolitics.com

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does she have any foreign policy chops?

I like her. She's a pragmatic conservative, I just wonder about her understanding of foreign affairs. That, to me, is a key to a successful Sec. of State.

saintsfan26

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
This doesn't bode well for the liberal media's "sexism" narrative.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
This doesn't bode well for the liberal media's "sexism" narrative.

Which seems to be the point.

Republicans love double minorities.

She doesn't have any foreign policy experience that I'm aware of.

st dude

The dotless one
Super Moderator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

I like her. She's a pragmatic conservative, I just wonder about her understanding of foreign affairs. That, to me, is a key to a successful Sec. of State.
I doubt as SC governor she has foreign policy experience, but I do not see that as a deal breaker if she is smart, personable, diplomatic and has backbone.

The sec of state is the face of your country and image is very important. On the surface, she would fit that bill.

Much like a head coach can prop himself up with experienced coordinators, I think if someone is a quick study, they could handle the job with a really strong and experienced under secretary.

Its all about negotiation skills. In Bridge of Spies, based on a true story, we saw how an insurance defense atty played a key role negotiating with the Russians.

Haley doesn't have the background that Condoleeza Rice did, but being a governor does give her transferable skills.

What I like about her the most so far is that she isn't one of the other names being mentioned. :covri:

BIGSAINTSFAN

Retired "USMC" Warrior
Reaction score

No. She doesn't have a shred of foreign policy experience or knowledge there if. Just like the rest of Trumps team of fools, they'll be put in positions they'll know nothing about. So far, Trumps cabinet is made up of family members and the likes of Juliani, gengrich, breitbart, and other unsavory characters. Say hello to your new leaders.

Claw

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
No. She doesn't have a shred of foreign policy experience or knowledge there if. Just like the rest of Trumps team of fools, they'll be put in positions they'll know nothing about. So far, Trumps cabinet is made up of family members and the likes of Juliani, gengrich, breitbart, and other unsavory characters. Say hello to your new leaders.
Link? I was not aware that Juliani, Gengrich, or any of his family members have been announced to cabinet positions yet. Must have missed it, so please enlighten us.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I doubt as SC governor she has foreign policy experience, but I do not see that as a deal breaker if she is smart, personable, diplomatic and has backbone.

The sec of state is the face of your country and image is very important. On the surface, she would fit that bill.

Much like a head coach can prop himself up with experienced coordinators, I think if someone is a quick study, they could handle the job with a really strong and experienced under secretary.

Its all about negotiation skills. In Bridge of Spies, based on a true story, we saw how an insurance defense atty played a key role negotiating with the Russians.

Haley doesn't have the background that Condoleeza Rice did, but being a governor does give her transferable skills.

What I like about her the most so far is that she isn't one of the other names being mentioned. :covri:
I went through the list of SoS. I only went back into the 30's. There were a few I had to Google because I didn't know much about them.

List of all Secretaries of State | U.S. Cabinet Members

Every single one had foreign policy experience. Most had a ton of it and were viewed as foreign policy experts.

As much as I like her, I'm really not comfortable with someone with absolutely zero background in foreign affairs holding a role that is 100% about foreign affairs.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll add that it's even more important for Trump to have someone knowledgable in the role because of the absolutely frightening ignorance he's displayed on diplomacy and foreign affairs. Our allies are scared right now, especially of the coziness with Putin, and sending an amateur out to calm them probably won't do the trick.

nolastyle

The Future Has Arrived
Reaction score
I went through the list of SoS. I only went back into the 30's. There were a few I had to Google because I didn't know much about them.

List of all Secretaries of State | U.S. Cabinet Members

Every single one had foreign policy experience. Most had a ton of it and were viewed as foreign policy experts.

As much as I like her, I'm really not comfortable with someone with absolutely zero background in foreign affairs holding a role that is 100% about foreign affairs.
While I agree with this, I would still take Gov. Haley before Gingrich/Giuliani, Bolton.

Tennessee Sen. Corker (Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chair) would be the best selection, which is why he'd never get the job.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
While I agree with this, I would still take Gov. Haley before Gingrich/Giuliani, Bolton.

Tennessee Sen. Corker (Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chair) would be the best selection, which is why he'd never get the job.
Corker is my first choice too (among Republican candidates).

I'd actually take Bolton over Haley. I'm not a fan of Bolton but at least he would bring knowledge to the table.

I wouldn't want Gingrich or Giuliani to be my dog catcher.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom