Government wants control of your thermostats. (1 Viewer)

Saint Mike

Are you a Who Dat?
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is scary.

spacer.gif

State proposes to take control of home temps

By: BRADLEY J. FIKES - Staff Writer

Revision to building standards would make some power conservation mandatory
California utilities would control the temperature of new homes and commercial buildings in emergencies with a radio-controlled thermostat, under a proposed state update to building energy efficiency standards.

Customers could not override the thermostats during "emergency events," according to the proposal, part of a 236-page revision to building standards. The document is scheduled to be considered by the California Energy Commission, a state agency, on Jan. 30.

The description does not provide any exception for health or safety concerns. It also does not define what are "emergency events."

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/01/08/news/top_stories/1_02_261_7_08.txt

No prob. Thermostats are a simple technology. $20 and you don't have to worry about it.

Not the most awful idea in principle since it's designed to only be used "in emergencies" but the devil would be in the details and the bloated regulations to control it so no thanks.

all thermostats are not created equal.....i just got a new one and i can tell that it's running the AC much more effeciently.....i won't know until summer how much of a difference it makes.....

but anyway, wouldn't that require everyine to have the same thermostat???

Many utilities including electricity and water are going to "radio read" technology.

Instead of a meter reader doing the rounds to each house, a transmitter is attached to the meter which automatically sends use data, either to a computer-equipped utility company truck when it drives by or a relay station which sends it directly to the utility company.

Even small utility companies are switching to this technology, eliminating the high-insurance cost meter reader jobs.

Many utilities including electricity and water are going to "radio read" technology.

Instead of a meter reader doing the rounds to each house, a transmitter is attached to the meter which automatically sends use data, either to a computer-equipped utility company truck when it drives by or a relay station which sends it directly to the utility company.

Even small utility companies are switching to this technology, eliminating the high-insurance cost meter reader jobs.

I see that around NYC. Just aim at the device, press a few buttons, get the readings and move on. They're usually located in the front of the building for easier access. On a side note, during the NYC blackout a few years ago, the old manual meter readers we're still spinning, yet there was no power and they got charged what the meters said. :dunno:

I wonder if they'll ever give a legit listing to define "emergency events".

On a side note, during the NYC blackout a few years ago, the old manual meter readers we're still spinning, yet there was no power and they got charged what the meters said. :dunno:
Is this something you saw first hand or is it urban legend? The reason I ask is without the presence of electromotive force a meter will not move.

Is this something you saw first hand or is it urban legend? The reason I ask is without the presence of electromotive force a meter will not move.

Nope. People up and down the streets were telling anyone passing by (cause no one had anything going on anyway without tricity). I made an afternoon of it because there were so many. They wanted everyone to walk on their property to see the meter for themselves. It was like a street carnival and they were the carnies (sp). I know I didn't believe it at first.

I know there were some reporters that heard about it and interviewed people, but I NEVER saw or heard anything about it. Not even when people got their bill and flipped seeing how much the bill was. The power was off in our hood for almost 2 weeks. Some places, even longer. Not a single media report of it.

As a matter of fact, the only grocery store that was smart enough to get a generator before the mad rush, showed us their meters running too. The manager said that they have a bit of emergency power, but the meters were running as if it was under normal power supply.

I'll never forget those two weeks even though my gf and I were in an alcohol daze the whole time. Nothing else to do.:dunno:

Great, once SkyNET gains control of our thermostats and OnStar systems we'll be at the mercy of our new robotic masters! :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom