Grandchild or Pay Up (1 Viewer)

I thought about starting an anti-natalism thread, and maybe one day I will.

But this thought has been screeching through my head since Uvalde and there's nothing I can do to 'silence' it. I keep hearing it and seeing it.

The only way to 100% guarantee that your child doesn't suffer is not to have it.

100% prevention of pain.
100% prevention of mental or physical anguish.

It's like the commercials where they say $1 will feed a kid for a month. Who wouldn't give a dollar if they could.

If you could 100% prevent a child's suffering, why didn't you? Why won't you?

Why are you planning to create a child who might suffer?

It's driving me crazy. It's the same thought stuck in my head. Racing around, raising hell.

100% success rate. You can uequivocally prevent another person's pain (and by extension your own), but we refuse to do it.

It's like watching someone commit child abuse. To see so many kids in pain. Knowing that it could have 100% been prevented.

It's not like the gun laws or security measures that decrease the likelihood. This is an absolute. Why not choose the absolute.

Why not select the prevention method with the perfect success rate.

But this thought has been screeching through my head since Uvalde and there's nothing I can do to 'silence' it. I keep hearing it and seeing it.

The only way to 100% guarantee that your child doesn't suffer is not to have it.

100% prevention of pain.

It's like the commercials where they say $1 will feed a kid for a month. Who wouldn't give a dollar if they could.

It's driving me crazy. It's the same thought stuck in my head. Racing around, raising hell.

100% success rate. You can uequivocally prevent another person's pain (and by extension your own), but we refuse to do it.

It's like watching someone commit child abuse. To see so many kids in pain. Knowing that it could have 100% been prevented.

It's not like the gun laws or security measures that decrease the likelihood. This is an absolute. Why not choose the absolute.

While I get the sentiment, my kids tell me that in spite of some pain and suffering they've faced in their lifetime, they're happy we chose to have them. So while there are regrets in life, my family isn't one of them.

While I get the sentiment, my kids tell me that in spite of some pain and suffering they've faced in their lifetime, they're happy we chose to have them. So while there are regrets in life, my family isn't one of them.
People say all kinds of things after the fact. But I'm thinking about would-be parents BEFORE conception.

How do you deliberately roll the dice and take that chance...

---
Also, I'm *assuming* you didn't think about the possible pain and say, "Yeah, they might suffer, BUT..."

I don't want to believe people are that selfish. I really don't.

Last edited:
People say all kinds of things after the fact. But I'm thinking about would-be parents BEFORE conception.

How do you deliberately roll the dice and take that chance...

---
Also, I'm *assuming* you didn't think about the possible pain and say, "Yeah, they might suffer, BUT..."

I don't want to believe people are that selfish. I really don't.
I guess that's where we differ. If I could live my life again and not change anything, would I? And I'd have to say yes, without a doubt. My kids would say the same. I imagine that's not the case for everyone though.

And to be clear, suffering isn't optional in life. We all suffer to some degree. Some more/less than others, so those thoughts are with the awareness that suffering is part of the human experience.

100% prevention of pain.

Why not select the prevention method with the perfect success rate.Ets put this in terms of bunnies

100% prevention of pain.

Let’s put this in terms of bunnies
95% chance bunnies will be eaten
4% chance they get to be Sophia’s pet and live a comfortable life save for being forced to play dress up
1% will die of old age

If you were god of bunnies, what would you do?

4% chance they get to be Sophia’s pet and live a comfortable life save for being forced to play dress up
1% will die of old age

Why change it to bunnies lol. In any event, the 95% chance of being eaten stands out to me.

And not so much the actual being eaten (they won't KNOW they're being consumed), but the killing/dying part. That's cruel.

🐇

1% will die of old age

The god of bunnies has already addressed this

92E96B2A-0E95-402D-852D-905BE9A9FCC8.jpeg

I guess that's where we differ. If I could live my life again and not change anything, would I? And I'd have to say yes, without a doubt. My kids would say the same. I imagine that's not the case for everyone though.

And to be clear, suffering isn't optional in life. We all suffer to some degree. Some more/less than others, so those thoughts are with the awareness that suffering is part of the human experience.
I totally understand that most people would choose their life above all else. I get it.

But I think it's a conditioned response and not a logical one. Sort of like the relatives of every dead person ever, who go on the news and declare so-and-so lit up a room and loved to help people. Sure.

We have a tendency of glorifying and romanticizing the human experience because it's something we go through. So naturally it's special. [/s]

I think the the hardest thing for humans to do is to acknowledge that they're not special or unique... or necessary.

The human experience isn't all that great. There are lovely little parts.

But if you think about Uvalde, was the joy of watching your kid take their first steps worth the pain of identifying them via DNA because their faces were blown apart?

For the little girl who smeared her classmates blood over her body, was the pride of seeing her in a dance recital a worthy exchange?

And maybe for some people it is. But I'm not ready to deal with that just yet.

I'm losing it. Sitting in my car screaming, "If you could prevent pain, why wouldn't you?!" Over and over

I hate that I'm made like this

I'm losing it. Sitting in my car screaming, "If you could prevent pain, why wouldn't you?!" Over and over

I hate that I'm made like this
The problem of pain is very real, but I also think it's actually a symptom of something else, whether physical or emotional. For example, in a very basic sense, pain tells us something is physically wrong. When I accidentally touch a hot surface or sharp object, pain is telling us to flinch away from whatever is hurting us. Emotional pain is similar in that it's telling us that we lost something valuable to us. Pain on it's own isn't necessarily a bad thing. We need it in some cases in order to respond to respond to whatever stimuli causing it.

Pain sucks sometimes though. So I empathize. Best I can do is be there and support my family when they're in pain. Easier said than done sometimes.

Life is pain and suffering. Everyone experiences it no matter their station in life. Your pain and suffering may be different from the person that was raised wealthy and comforted/shielded, but their pain and suffering is just as real to them. If life is to go on, you have to learn to cope and become stronger.

The human experience isn't all that great. There are lovely little parts.
Often, I think it's about how that balance falls in the end, and there is no real way to know that in advance.

We all have different experiences and capacities. Two things have always stood out to me: how woman who have difficult childbirths make the decision to have more children; and, how people who have lost children tragically still find ways to treasure the time they had with them.

I think it's too simple to dismiss the hopefulness lying behind those decisions as necessarily being conditioned, and not truly and honestly felt. That doesn't dismiss your view as invalid; I just believe others can sincerely view it from a completely different, more hopeful, emotional place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom