Grandchild or Pay Up (1 Viewer)

if i'm reading this correctly and I follow the line of argument - are you saying that at a fundamental level your pov is universal and kizzy is missing as basic tenet?
I would say that one is far more common as a POV than the other. But that doesn't mean the less common POV is wrong.

?? you have a comment at the end of the 3rd page on that thread
so she does, and very consistent point of view

I've known since forever that I didn't want kids. I don't have the nurturing gene and I'm very aware of it. It's difficult enough taking care of myself, so I can't imagine having to tend to another human being for years on end. I'm sure it's fun and fulfilling on some level, but I can tell from keeping my nephew on the weekends that the trade-off is lopsided. You have to do a whole bunch of other stuff that isn't fun or fulfilling while waiting for those precious moments.
<O:p</O:p
In addition to that, I would have a hard time bringing a person into this world who didn't ask to be here. The responsibility (and possibly the guilt) of doing such a thing… It's huge, man. It's just not a decision I would consciously make.<O:p</O:p

I've had folks tell me it's selfish, but in my opinion it's more selfish to create a person that had no say whatsoever in what they look like; they had no input in what skills or abilities they'd possess - or lack. They are a product of their parents and they don't get to choose who those people are. They don't get to choose the environment or circumstances they're born into. When you really think about it – like, REALLY think about it – having a baby is one of the most selfish things a human being can do. That statement never goes over well when I share it, but I think it's because we've been conditioned to feel just the opposite. <O:p</O:p

Folks always say, "We want to have a baby" "I want another child", etc. No one ever says, "We need a kid" or "What this planet needs is more people." Therefore, I have a hard time believing that people procreate with the purpose of fulfilling their duty to God and the earth. They just say all that stuff after the fact because they know you can't prove otherwise.

<O:p</O:pTherefore, I don't think it's wrong to not want kids. Personally, I commend you. <O:p</O:p

LMAO. It's been over a decade. Let me go back and read it.
It's always interesting reading an old thread and having a very specific opinion on it, then several pages in you see your post expressing that exact opinion

In the kids thread I think some of the then childless members now have kids, I think @porculator and a few more

It would be interesting to get their thoughts now

Last edited:
I know a couple who have been Christian ministers and been happily married for 30+ years and from the start, they decided they didn't want kids. It was a conscious decision and they've never expressed regrets during that 30 years.

There are couples and individuals alike who have decided not to marry, have children or whatever, and there is no shame in that. It's a valid lifestyle choice. So I'd just say that I affirm that as a choice.

I can't imagine my life without my 4 kids, and they've been a blessing to my wife, warts and all. And still, it's ok that I have close friends who aren't interested in having their own kids. I don't get it, but I love them just the same.
Except there is a lot of shame and judgment; especially for WOMEN, who choose not to marry or have children. Maybe not in your immediate circle, but in American society in general.

I would never want to re-do this life as we know it, as a woman. Look at all the cultures across the globe and tell me which one is so appealing for women? Not a single one.

Except there is a lot of shame and judgment; especially for WOMEN, who choose not to marry or have children. Maybe not in your immediate circle, but in American society in general.

I would never want to re-do this life as we know it, as a woman. Look at all the cultures across the globe and tell me which one is so appealing for women? Not a single one.
Yeah, I don't disagree on that. Fair point. Too many people suck.

It's always interesting reading an old thread and having a very specific opinion on it, then several pages in you see your post expressing that exact opinion

In the kids thread I think some of the then childless members now have kids, I think @porculator and a few more

It would be interesting to get their thoughts now

My thoughts are actually a lot less interesting now that I have kids.

My brain just has catchy children's cartoon theme songs on repeat all day every day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom