Grantham concerns... (1 Viewer)

People in here have fallen in love with Grantham for all the wrong reasons. The love him because HE IS NOT RYAN. Sorry...that's a bad reason.

The problems with Grantham are more concerning than Ryans. Grantham does not have near the NFL experience...and his Georgia defenses, though being blessed with NFL talent, were never top SEC defenses. A big part of this was game calling and adjustments.

Also, the problem that people have with Ryan are 1) his name and 2) the way he looks and 3) his occasional big mouth. But his players love and respect him. They all praise him for being a great defensive mind.

Grantham on the other hand has had issues internally within front offices. He tends to rub people the wrong way with his cut throat attitute. He is also an intense, fiery guy...so if you are looking for the antithesis of GW...don't look here. Grantham is also not the "young blood" that people think that he is. He is only three years younger than Ryan.

I am not saying that Grantham is a BAD DC candidate...but the love for this guy is blinded by people's hatred based on perception of Ryan.

I personally have Keith Butler and even Teryl Austin higher on my list. But third on my list would be Ryan...then Grantham.

I think many want Grantham because he is not Ryan. However, the problem with Ryan is that he HAS had NFL talent and done nothing with it in 9 years. He lives off of his dad's name. He also rubs people the wrong way. Didn't Georgia have a defense that was top 5 or top 10 in the country in 2011?

I think many want Grantham because he is not Ryan. However, the problem with Ryan is that he HAS had NFL talent and done nothing with it in 9 years. He lives off of his dad's name. He also rubs people the wrong way. Didn't Georgia have a defense that was top 5 or top 10 in the country in 2011?

Yes, #3 in the country but that is very misleading. They played some terrible offensive teams in 2011 and pretty much shut them all down. Then they played 4 teams ranked inside the top 20 and were 0-4 allowing 39 points per game.

But they did shut out Coastal Carolina.

The few the proud...what am I saying us Ga whodats definitely outnumber the falcon fans lol.

Main concern, lack of adjustments.

Fired up, intense, aggressive, crazy in a good way...yes. Intelligent during a game with adjustments? The worst.

IMO, this is the best thing about the interview process. The best way to learn about him is to ask him about those specific games you mention. Ask him what he saw and what adjustments he made or was trying to make. We don't get to see the interviews but I would like to think they go something like the questions Jon Gruden asks in his QB camp series.

Any available candidate at this stage will have glaring issues. That is just the brakes because Payton was not reinstated until the Senior Bowl.

Yes, #3 in the country but that is very misleading. They played some terrible offensive teams in 2011 and pretty much shut them all down. Then they played 4 teams ranked inside the top 20 and were 0-4 allowing 39 points per game.

But they did shut out Coastal Carolina.

Well, everything can be misleading then because all teams play a mixed schedule like that including LSU, Alabama, and so on.

I'm not a fan of Georgia.

My response was directed to the OP's post regarding the number of UGA fans who were making their displeasure with Grantham known. There are probably substantive reasons to prefer another candidate, I'm just saying that the fans of the college football team he coaches for are not the place to find them.

I was all for Grantham until I heard the "rumor" of him trying to push Crennell out and his sneaky ways. That's not what this team needs...no matter how good or average he may be on the field.

Yeah, Ryan has his issues....what individual doesn't? I think I'll take his experience and big mouth (which I believe if anyone, Payton can put a cap on) over a guy who potentially could be stabbing others in the back. I think the players would rally more around Ryan and his attitude than having to follow a guy who has pushed to get Crennell fired.

Kind of hard to project how a guy will perform in the NFL vs College football. Sure he had some potential NFL talent on his roster but the majority of that defense wont make it to the NFL. Coaching NFL players is completely different, guys are smarter, more experienced, and you are talking about elite athletes. And from what I understand he vastly improved the UGA defense once he got there, although they took a step back. I dont watch their games so I am just judging from what I've read.

Basically, at the end of the day Sean Payton has to figure out what he is bring to the table.

- Can he adapt his scheme to enhance players strengths. ?
- Is he innovative?
- Can he quickly make adjustments and "see the future"?
- Can he get the most out of his players?

Beat Auburn 38-0 holding them to 57 yards rushing. You must be thinking of someone else.

I was not referring to this year, I was referring to the year that they played Cam Newton, who he would be coaching against if hired by the saints. Auburn wasn't even a halfway decent team this year, as they gave up on their coaching staff.

I don't know that I'd place much emphasis on what a college team's fans have to say about anything. As shortsighted and irrational as some pro football fans can be, I find that those who would describe themselves as primarily college fans are even more so.

So you know for a fact that the OP is an "irrational college only fan" This statement borderlines on being bigoted.

How would you feel if someone said no emphasis can be placed on what you say because you're a woman. What you did is on par with that.

Yea, as a UGA alum, and a lifelong Saints fan, I would be very disappointed if the Saints hired Grantham. Most of it's been brushed up on here, but Grantham has had NFL talent and done the least with it while at Georgia.

I know a good part of the problem was that Grantham had to come in and change the base defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4, and he didn't have the ideal personnel on the front line, but he finally has a couple of classes under his belt and still hasn't performed as well as I'd hope with the players he's had.

And all of this has come along with a very weak schedule the past couple of seasons. I'm not sure how well we'd have done if we had to face the better teams from the west during the regular season the past couple of years.

So yea, I'm still not sure whether or not I'd be sad to see him leave UGA, but I know that I'd be disappointed if the Saints were to hire him. I just don't see him being successful in a return to the NFL ranks.

I was all for Grantham until I heard the "rumor" of him trying to push Crennell out and his sneaky ways. That's not what this team needs...no matter how good or average he may be on the field.

Yeah, Ryan has his issues....what individual doesn't? I think I'll take his experience and big mouth (which I believe if anyone, Payton can put a cap on) over a guy who potentially could be stabbing others in the back. I think the players would rally more around Ryan and his attitude than having to follow a guy who has pushed to get Crennell fired.

Sounds like saints contacted Crennel before brining Grantham in. So if those rumors were true would they still have brought him in knowing he was a sleeze ball?

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
#Saints plan: Talk to Grantham Thurs, Rob Ryan today, try to get 1 more assistant interview, wrap up by Tues. Unless they lock up Rob today

people gonna be mad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom