Grantham tidbit this morning.. (1 Viewer)

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
Was listening to Kristian Garic on 96.7 The Champ this morning.. He stated that the Saints contacted Romeo Crennel, not necessarily to gauge his interest in the job but to get information about Grantham.. Obviously Grantham was DC under Crennel previously with the Browns.. Not sure if this had been reported before or not. Just thought I'd share.

Was listening to Kristian Garic on 96.7 The Champ this morning.. He stated that the Saints contacted Romeo Crennel, not necessarily to gauge his interest in the job but to get information about Grantham.. Obviously Grantham was DC under Crennel previously with the Browns.. Not sure if this had been reported before or not. Just thought I'd share.

I wonder if this was before or after the decision to interview Grantham.

Common thing to reference past people who they worked under.

Seems like Romeo doesn't want to Coach this year though.

FWIW, they're talking about Grantham on Atl Sports talk this morning, and the callers are all HOPING the Saints sign Grantham away from UGA... Keep in mind they are all Georgia fans! They just keep saying how his defense could never stop the run, even with all the talent they have/had. It gives me some pause, I have to admit.

Maybe they want the straight poop on a touchy situation. There were rumbles that Grantham
was starting a mutiny to get Romeo fired mid-season so that he could grab the reins as HC. Disturbing if true.

FWIW, they're talking about Grantham on Atl Sports talk this morning, and the callers are all HOPING the Saints sign Grantham away from UGA... Keep in mind they are all Georgia fans! They just keep saying how his defense could never stop the run, even with all the talent they have/had. It gives me some pause, I have to admit.

Reminds me of all the Tenneessee fans who celebrated the departure of John Chavis; be careful what you wish for.

Coaches coach, players play. We will see how good the UGA players are when they enter the league.

The more I hear about Grantham the more I'd rather Ryan. Besides a 'knowledge' (don't know if he can stop it) of the pistol and read option, I don't know what else Grantham would give us.

During the earlier part of season, when Payton did some post game Q&A with the Times-Picayune, he stated that his worry and defensive priority was to STOP THE RUN. So, Ill assume that his primary defensive focus will be to shore up the defenses ability to stop the run.

Maybe they want the straight poop on a touchy situation. There were rumbles that Grantham
was starting a mutiny to get Romeo fired mid-season so that he could grab the reins as HC. Disturbing if true.

There are two things that disturb me about Grantham. My main concern is the rumors about him back-stabbing Crennel and the other is his performance in Cleveland and Georgia. The Saints seem to have a tight fraternity in both the coaching staff and in the locker room. They don't need a weasel trying to stir up drama where there isn't any. Ryan might be a bit of a free spirit but I have never heard anything negative about his character. I prefer Crennel because he has a proven track record and is known for being a good man but it doesn't look like he's going to be an option for whatever reason.

There are two things that disturb me about Grantham. My main concern is the rumors about him back-stabbing Crennel and the other is his performance in Cleveland and Georgia. The Saints seem to have a tight fraternity in both the coaching staff and in the locker room. They don't need a weasel trying to stir up drama where there isn't any. Ryan might be a bit of a free spirit but I have never heard anything negative about his character. I prefer Crennel because he has a proven track record and is known for being a good man but it doesn't look like he's going to be an option for whatever reason.

I wish there was a better candidate in the running. I just do not like Ryan. He has never done anything as a DC and he does not know when to shut up. I do not think we need another GW personality with even loser lips.

The Ravens' coaching staff is remaining intact.
The Philadelphia Eagles' hire of former Cleveland Browns linebackers coach Billy Davis as their new defensive coordinator eliminates Ravens linebackers coach Ted Monachino as a candidate to leave

Ravens linebackers coach Ted Monachino staying put - baltimoresun.com

Doesn't sound like we were after him as he was available to be interviewed. Strange...maybe Kirby Smart?

Or maybe just a ploy to get Rex Ryan to come down off his high horse......

Ya, I agree. It may not be Kirby Smart, but it definitely sounds like our mystery candidate is from the college ranks.

I would hope its Smart..he and Grantham are the only college coaches i can think of that are qualified enough. Kirby is young though and would possibly stay here for a # of years. Its definitely a + if we go after him. He doesn't have the same checkered background as the other 2 candidates but he also doesn't have the experience outside of Coaching the safeties back in Miami.

Maybe we're still waiting on permission to talk to Tomsula. In interviews prior to the Superbowl, he was pretty adamant that he wanted to become a defensive coordinator. I know that if I was asked about moving to another company to make more money and my boss told me I couldn't, I would raise holy hell until I got my point across.

Someone said that we got denied for Donatell because he might be next in line for SF's DC position. I don't even know if Tomsula is on our radar, but I do know that if he is granted permission, then he would be the number one candidate IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom