Gravity (1 Viewer)

pennstater

Very Banned
Reaction score
I have been thinking about gravity for awhile.

Some things I have been wondering.

Does our Gravity ever fluctuate? Is there ever an instance in time that our gravity is greater than another instance in time?

And...If you think about it for awhile. I think gravity is the sole reason why the Earth is round.

Thoughts?

Haha what are you smoking , dude.

I'll try to answer your question. Gravity is a constant force in our atmosphere. It doesn't fluctuate randomly.

Also I think the earth is round because of gravity yes.

Gravity affects time,thats what I can't get my head around.

From doing my own research it appears as if Gravity decreases with great altitude and is at its peak closest to the equater.

I got that from this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_gravity

Another thing I wonder about gravity is this, If you drill a 3 foot wide hole straight through the earth and then dropped a ball in the hole, would it wind up at the other side? Or settle in the middle.

Or if you dropped the ball from a very low atlitude and the other side of the earth is a mountain, I wonder if when you drop the ball through it hole it would come right back at you in a few days, since we learned the lower atlitude you are the higher the gravitational pull.

Gravity is the force of the universe that blocks the unseen from view.
and makes up stand up on the ground and not float off into space for those scientific freaks like myself.

From doing my own research it appears as if Gravity decreases with great altitude and is at its peak closest to the equater.

I got that from this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_gravity
The force of gravity is proportional to the distance away from the center of mass, specifically r squared. So, yes, the farther away you are the less the effect.

Another thing I wonder about gravity is this, If you drill a 3 foot wide hole straight through the earth and then dropped a ball in the hole, would it wind up at the other side? Or settle in the middle.

It would eventually settle in the center. Get this, the effect of gravity is zero at the center of mass, so you would be effectively weightless at the center of the Earth.

Now, read that again. Freaky isn't it.

:ezbill:

The force of gravity is proportional to the distance away from the center of mass, specifically r squared. So, yes, the farther away you are the less the effect.

It would eventually settle in the center. Get this, the effect of gravity is zero at the center of mass, so you would be effectively weightless at the center of the Earth.

I don't think you'd settle at the center. Because of inertia you'll be bouncing up and down forever.

It would eventually settle in the center. Get this, the effect of gravity is zero at the center of mass, so you would be effectively <s>weightless</s> melted at the center of the Earth.

Someone explain how time is affected by gravity in simple terms. Thanks:confused:

Someone explain how time is affected by gravity in simple terms. Thanks:confused:

In a black hole. If you could have a clock that was not affected by the gravitational tides, a clock would not tick. Black holes have an infinate amount of gravity. Time is also affected by how fast an object is moving. This is called time dialation. If you go the speed of light, the observer expirences a longer time then the person who is traveling at the speed of light.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom