Grease (1 Viewer)

I will offer that you might not be aware of how huge Beyoncé’s celebrity has grown
Both she and Taylor Swift have vastly outgrown the shadow Madonna cast, but for Beyoncé- it’s like her husband once said “I’m not a businessman; I’m a business, man” - she’s an industry unto herself
Oh no doubt. I mentioned her and the others because of the immense success they've had. And I think that they can thank Madonna for paving the way for their own success. In their own ways, Swift, Beyonce and Lady Gaga have surpassed Madonna, whether it's the music, voice, performance, or how their run their business. They each have their own strengths which contribute to their success.

But the question you’re all wondering is: IS IT A CHICK FLICK ?? The answer is: Only if you consider all musicals, by definition, chick flicks... I think the answer is No, but it really hinges on that question..... Also, sorry DR- but Worse Things I Could Do is probably my least favorite song in the whole film.. pretty much all the rest of them are great though.
No it isn't a chick flick. I enjoyed the movie as well. Sha na na had an important role in the movie as well. They were the opening act for the final day at Woodstock which was closed by Jimi Hendrix. The group was started by students from Columbia university. They weren't egg heads by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited:
2. a ballerina can spend their life perfecting their craft - can rise to the rank of Prima — that does not automatically mean they know much about dance history or choreography or teaching
Technical ability and cultural appreciation are not shared skills (sure, there may be overlap but someone who’s never danced a lick might be a better cultural arbiter than a prima ballerina)
Did a kind of edit: Balanchine deep dive awhile back because I realized I wouldn't be able to pick him out of a lineup. But I've always known about him and his reputation because I've always loved ballet but never wanted to be a dancer and certainly wouldn't be a good one (Turning Point certainly a movie I'll always watch).

Last edited:
. And honest question, those other great singers, have they had anywhere near the phenomenal success Madonna has had for the length of time she's had? I can't think of any other than maybe Lady Gaga, Beyonce and probably Taylor Swift. Madonna in a lot of ways, blazed the trail for them.
I think I'd put Barbra and Cher in that list.

I think I'd put Barbra and Cher in that list.

Yes, in the sense that they were well known before Madonna came around. Buy their target audiences and musical styles were wildly different. Streisand has an incredible voice, but her musical style puts me to sleep. I like some of Cher's stuff, but never really got into her broader body of work. I like Madonna's groovy, dance mix and she sings some solid ballads. I like that she's experimented with a number of different musical styles. Barbara's voice far exceeds Madonna’s, but Madonna's stage presence and entertainment factor is much batter than those two. But that's somewhat subjective too. Just how I see it from where I sit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom