Great article about CJ McCollum (1 Viewer)

nolaspe

Slava Ukraini!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This dude wants to play well w/ Zion and the feelings seem to be mutual (I'm going from what I read in the article)...

ON A RECENT four-game, seven-day West Coast road trip, the Pelicans had multiple team dinners, including one at an Italian spot close to their hotel in Los Angeles and a steakhouse in Sacramento. But it wasn't the location that mattered; it was the seating arrangement.

At both, McCollum was seated next to Zion Williamson, who had been away from the team when McCollum arrived in New Orleans while he recovered from a season-long foot injury. The two talked for hours, joking, bonding with one another, a duo the team hopes can be foundational for years to come.

"You give us another dynamic rolling finisher. You give us a player who can make plays off the dribble who is also selfless who also wants to win," says Pelicans executive vice president of basketball operations David Griffin. "It's exciting to think about what they can achieve together because their mentalities fit each other really well."

When the season ends, McCollum says he plans on going over to Williamson's house to get to know him even better, and doing the same thing with other teammates. He'll also set up meetings for the team in Las Vegas during Summer League, he says.

I was just excited about him coming for his play on the court, but what he's done off of the court has been more impressive IMO. Ingram is growing into a leadership role, but CJ is definitely a proven leader. They compliment each other well.

I think that Zion's camp was looking to get him moved to another team. The Pels were making questionable decisions and his first 2 coaches sucked (mostly Stan Van Gundy)

But I think they have seen the culture, chemistry, and talent change and are now all in.

Saw this discussion on another board. Not only is CJ a great fit for us, but we were a great fit for him

1) being the main ball handler is allowing him to show how good he really is now that he isn't deferring to Lillard (also shows how unselfish a teammate he is)

2) what held Portland back was that their undersized backcourt (Lillard is 6'2" and CJ is 6'3") was horrible for defense

3) CJ is still a defensive liability but playing in a lineup where everyone other than CJ is 6'7" or better plus good wingspans makes up for that liability

4) CJ gets the easiest assignments on defense which means he is getting to save his energy for offense

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom