Great article on Maxwell McCandless Unger (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
https://www.nola.com/saints/2018/12...-brees-the-past-4-seasons.html?outputType=amp

“If guys start lagging, dragging, he’s like, ‘Come on, tighten the huddle up,’” Brees said. “He’s the first one to say that, and it’s great because there’s times where, in the past, I’ve said something, but I don’t need to because man I know Max has got it under control.

“And then you break the huddle, and it’s almost like Max is forcing everybody to race up to the ball, but then that creates tempo and urgency and that stresses a defense.”

Younger is great.
Keeping that O-line in sync is a big part of why the O is so great.

Max Unger is a football brainiac. Drew Brees is too. So is Kamara. Ben Watson is a high football IQ guy. So is Marcus Williams and Demario Davis and Cam Jordan and Lattimore. Sean Payton places a high value of football intelligence. Highly intelligent players will always be improving their craft with a much shorter curve and adapting to the norms of the game and the opponent. Halftime adjustments are a hallmark of the Payton teams. You must have highly intelligent leadership at your positions to make those work.

Notice how there is a markedly intelligent guy at every position group on the team. That's not a coincidence. Payton runs the most complicated playbook in the league. He values those players that you can show several complex plays to at the combine in twenty minutes and then meet with them a month later and have them recall it all back to you in detail, correctly, the first time, every time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom