Great Article on Sacks from Draft Prospects (1 Viewer)

CaliSaint4Life

Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I'm always one to say that sacks don't tell nearly enough of the story about a pass rusher. I read an article that said sacks count for about 2% of the snaps from the elites pass rushing guys. Pressure, double teams, batted balls, holding penalties created, and being schemed for are all factors that come into play when determining if a player is a good pass rusher. With that said, sacks are game changing plays and at the end of the day, the best pass rushers who are effective at some of the qualities I listed above usually have the top sack numbers.

This article does a study on Ansah, Carradine, Jones, Jordan, Mingo, Moore, and Okafor in determining how quick they got the sack, how they got it, if they were blocked, what down they got the sack on, and if they scheme attributed to the sack (blitz or not).

I don't think it necessarily tells us who will be the best pass rusher from this draft but it's definitely gives us a bit more insight on the guys who we spend a large amount of time discussing on this sight.

Here are a couple of examples from the article:

Sack Time.
time2.gif

How did they get there?
rushtype1.gif

I was hesitant to post this because as I said, I think we put too much focus on sacks, but I think it'll provide some good discussion. Give it a read!

Here's the article: http://secondroundstats.com/2013/02/27/pass-rushers-pt1/

I could believe that about Alex Okafor, Texas' secondary was horrible.

But there is no link to the rest of the article.

okafor with the fastest sack time, why wasnt he at the combine?
Also zero of his sacks were coverage sacks, that is very impresive!

in the article why does it say mingo got to the qb quickest? okafor's time is faster, but also none of mingo's sacks were coverage sacks, also impressive!

wow, makes a great case for Okafor, we need to send this to Mickey and Sean

According to his data, Okafor is a clear winner. It's compelling stuff. Texas had a horrible secondary, and Okafor isn't a light player for his position by any means, but he got to the quarterback consistently, early in the down count (so not necessarily passing situations), quicker than anyone else, and with very little help from either coverage or teammates. And he showed a wide variety of skills doing so, not simply out-quicking to the edge every time or only using his size.

People should obviously be looking very closely at Okafor

in the article why does it say mingo got to the qb quickest? okafor's time is faster, but also none of mingo's sacks were coverage sacks, also impressive!

Mingo only had 5 sacks, his sample size is small making it prone to outliers.

How come I've heard so little about Okafor? I still havent watched tape on him yet. Can he play OLB?

If u like this chart, as I do, mingo and okafor are phenominal

According to his data, Okafor is a clear winner. It's compelling stuff. Texas had a horrible secondary, and Okafor isn't a light player for his position by any means, but he got to the quarterback consistently, early in the down count (so not necessarily passing situations), quicker than anyone else, and with very little help from either coverage or teammates. And he showed a wide variety of skills doing so, not simply out-quicking to the edge every time or only using his size.

People should obviously be looking very closely at Okafor

Agreed, ive always loved okafor and been talking about him this whole season, reinds me of orakpo, could def become a 3-4 olb

How come I've heard so little about Okafor? I still havent watched tape on him yet. Can he play OLB?

Texas runs a 4-3, so drafting him involves projecting him to do things that aren't on film. You could see him maybe in the JACK role that Galette is slated to fill. He also might project to LDE in the 3-4, the JJ Watt role that Cam Jordan is slotted for.

So it's not a precise need fit. But I mean, if he's a potential pro bowler, I don't think you turn that down just to roll the dice on Galette. Besides, on a rookie deal for 4 years, you can afford to have both simultaneously if he really is the best available.

Texas runs a 4-3, so drafting him involves projecting him to do things that aren't on film. You could see him maybe in the JACK role that Galette is slated to fill. He also might project to LDE in the 3-4, the JJ Watt role that Cam Jordan is slotted for.

So it's not a precise need fit. But I mean, if he's a potential pro bowler, I don't think you turn that down just to roll the dice on Galette. Besides, on a rookie deal for 4 years, you can afford to have both simultaneously if he really is the best available.

Everything I've seen projects Hicks at LDE and Jordan at Ride. In the 3-4 Okafor is way to mall to play LDE

Okafor looks best suited to play RDE in the 4-3.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom