Great Documentaries... (1 Viewer)

truly it was. This is one of my favorite EE threads. Full of win.

I have the Documentary Channel on DirecTV. I always flip thru it to see if something new is on. Monday, i watched Axe in the Attic which was a "Katrina" doc. Pretty moving piece. I had seen it years ago, but thought to watch again to kinda get a contextual idea if where we are vs where we have been. Some places have come a looooong way. Others, not so much.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGd9D4J0lag&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGd9D4J0lag&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a0atL1HSwi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It was really good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cgxxT4xpVNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was eye opening.

this hasn't been updated in a year. anyone seen anything really good lately?

FYI American: The Bill Hicks story is streaming on Crackle right now which is 100 percent free

FYI American: The Bill Hicks story is streaming on Crackle right now which is 100 percent free

I watched Stolen Seas recently - it has been playing a lot. It's about Somali piracy (and was made after the Maersk Alabama incident). Pretty fascinating. Tries to give a complete picture of the issue, including from the Somali perspective

Most recent one I watched was on the director John Millius. Pretty fascinating look at a guy who often gets overlooked due to coming up along with luminaries like Spielberg, Lucas, Coppola, etc. but has a really impressive body of work as a writer and director. It gets into his politics and worldview quite a bit, too, and it's interesting to see how his brash demeanor and right wing proclivities hindered his career as the 80's wore on.

I watched this the other day. Incredible doc, he really opened peoples eyes. Such a shame he died so young though.

Prozac nation, the politics of obesity, and the corporation were all very good. They gave me new perspectives on psychotropic drugs, the food industry and the nature of corporations.

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. Hands down, one of the most engrossing docs in recent memory.

Kind of like slowing down to see the train wreak.....and you have every right to slow down and see the train wreak.

I haven't gone through the whole thread, but...

Some of the HBO documentaries were really good. Paradise Lost and Waco - Rules of Engagement were compelling.

Someone mentioned Blackfish, and I saw that and enjoyed it.

But the most absorbing and disturbing one I've seen in recent memory is United States of Secrets, a PBS Frontline documentary.

I need to go through this thread for recommendations on what to watch.

A few months back I watched a doc called "Happy People: A Year in the Taiga" narrated by Werner Herzog. It's an interesting glimpse into the lives of people in rural Russia.

I also enjoyed Sci-Fi Boys bout the lives of Ray Bradbury and Ray Harryhausen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom