Great game against Rams except for ST (1 Viewer)

Domeination

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Brees was brilliant again and the D tightened up in the second half against the Rams. But the Saints' kick coverage unit gave up an average of 32.6 yards on five kickoff returns, including a 61-yard return. And TommyLee Lewis muffed a punt return that easily could have led to a turnover. We can't afford to blow another game due to ST. Even with two coach-helpers, McMahon isn't getting the job done.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
The return coverage was terrible.

Not just the long return, but the fact that we got the ball to fall inside the 1 yard line, forcing them to return it, several times yet managed to let them past the 25 every time. That's not how that's supposed to work.

cue180

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

Not just the long return, but the fact that we got the ball to fall inside the 1 yard line, forcing them to return it, several times yet managed to let them past the 25 every time. That's not how that's supposed to work.
Yeah...and that is why I say give them the 25. It is very seldom, even before this year, that returners don't get back to at least the 20 over 50% of the time. Just let them start on the 25 & not take a chance of them breaking a return.

crosswatt

Gone Fishing.
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Really? We can't enjoy a pretty dominat victory without complaining about something?

DABOOT162

LURKER
Reaction score
Brees was brilliant again and the D tightened up in the second half against the Rams. But the Saints' kick coverage unit gave up an average of 32.6 yards on five kickoff returns, including a 61-yard return. And TommyLee Lewis muffed a punt return that easily could have led to a turnover. We can't afford to blow another game due to ST. Even with two coach-helpers, McMahon isn't getting the job done.

The 61 yarder was due to the refs miss the worst block in the block call as Banjo was coming in for the tackle... not taking up for our special teams in any way. They need work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
Really? We can't enjoy a pretty dominat victory without complaining about something?
There are probably 20 feel good threads on the front page

This one, however, is definitely warranted.

We are going to complain until we get McMahon fired.

A complain-in.

LiterOCola

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Let's not forget when the Rams punted with the punter lined up at the back of their own endzone and the Saints started that drive from their own 25.

Most teams, they'd have the ball right around midfield ...

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score

I love how the ball dropped at the one yard line...and two defenders were standing right there with no clue where the ball was.

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Be honest, how many of you thought that special teams were going to bite us in the *** again? How many times did you turn your head on extra point attempts or held you breath on every kick return? It is a problem.

gumbotron

Saints Nut
Reaction score
complaining? ...sounded like an objective observation to me , with the Saints,at 5-6,with possible hopes of at least a winning season,the ST aren't trending in a direction favorable to achieving that goal

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There are probably 20 feel good threads on the front page

This one, however, is definitely warranted.

We are going to complain until we get McMahon fired.

A complain-in.
I highly doubt anybody with the Saints gives a hoot about what SaintSproles thinks.

rlmarine

I hate refs
Reaction score
On the Raiders first kickoff, they had to kickoff from their 20 after the unsportsmanlike penalty on the td celebration. We did not take advantage and only ran it back to the 25 yard line. On our next kickoff (from the 35) the raiders started their drive from the 31 (aided by a 5 yard penalty against the saints special teams).

They kick from the 20. We start at the 25.

We kick from the 35. They start at the 31.

It's not only the obvious blunders, it's the constant hidden yardage our bad special teams contributes that kills this football team.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get your frustration with that, but, in a close game, and particularly one in a battle of field position, STs could be the difference between winning and losing. We've seen enough evidence of that this season already.

Kick coverage and returns have been pretty terrible much of this season. It's painful to watch other teams do that so much better than us on STs. All the STs need to be is average and we'll win much more often than not with the way the rest of the team is playing.

Really was hoping to see significant improvement with the new coach and long week, but kick returns and coverage left a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

daybreaker

STH since 2006
Reaction score
Kick coverage and returns have been pretty terrible much of this season.
Try every season since... 2006.

We had one good KR year when PT was doing all the KRs. And our best PR years were with Reggie and Sproles.

The only years our special teams arent dumpster fires are when we have special players back there. When we put normal players back there we are near the worst in the league

St.Fury

Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Be honest, how many of you thought that special teams were going to bite us in the *** again? How many times did you turn your head on extra point attempts or held you breath on every kick return? It is a problem.
Not once did it cross my mind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)