Great game against Rams except for ST (1 Viewer)

Be honest, how many of you thought that special teams were going to bite us in the *** again? How many times did you turn your head on extra point attempts or held you breath on every kick return? It is a problem.

Not once did it cross my mind.

On the Raiders first kickoff, they had to kickoff from their 20 after the unsportsmanlike penalty on the td celebration. We did not take advantage and only ran it back to the 25 yard line. On our next kickoff (from the 35) the raiders started their drive from the 31 (aided by a 5 yard penalty against the saints special teams).

They kick from the 20. We start at the 25.

We kick from the 35. They start at the 31.

It's not only the obvious blunders, it's the constant hidden yardage our bad special teams contributes that kills this football team.

You a Panther fan?

I get your frustration with that, but, in a close game, and particularly one in a battle of field position, STs could be the difference between winning and losing. We've seen enough evidence of that this season already.

Kick coverage and returns have been pretty terrible much of this season. It's painful to watch other teams do that so much better than us on STs. All the STs need to be is average and we'll win much more often than not with the way the rest of the team is playing.

Really was hoping to see significant improvement with the new coach and long week, but kick returns and coverage left a lot to be desired.

I am just sitting here asking myself how many more games will it take where Greg McMahon's unit costs the game before Loomis just bypasses Payton and drops the hammer himself.

Special Teams was horrendous today, but Brees, Thomas, and Ingram being unstoppable and the defense being in "burn everything, leave no survivors" mode, they got away with it.

I am just sitting here asking myself how many more games will it take where Greg McMahon's unit costs the game before Loomis just bypasses Payton and drops the hammer himself.

Special Teams was horrendous today, but Brees, Thomas, and Ingram being unstoppable and the defense being in "burn everything, leave no survivors" mode, they got away with it.

Horrendous is what Denver is experiencing tonight.

I highly doubt anybody with the Saints gives a hoot about what SaintSproles thinks.

well that goes without saying

I was injecting a little levity...geez

Not sure why some people are so sensitive to criticism to the goings on of this team....if its warranted, then we should be discussing it

I assume thats why this forum exists

If you see a thread title as obvious as this one is titled and its not something you want to even begin talk about, its easy to avoid

This weekend the people of Cuba lost a leader who will always mean to them what Special Teams Coach Greg McMahon means to the New Orleans Saints.

This weekend the people of Cuba lost a leader who will always mean to them what Special Teams Coach Greg McMahon means to the New Orleans Saints.

IMHO, I think that's a poor analogy if it's meant to be entirely negative. US mainstream media is often biased when reporting about Castro.

There are probably 20 feel good threads on the front page

This one, however, is definitely warranted.

We are going to complain until we get McMahon fired.

A complain-in.
Some people just don't take criticism well... especially when it's talking about this team.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Some people just don't take criticism well... especially when it's talking about this team.
It actually has nothing to do with liking or not liking criticism. It has to do with not liking tired or unwarranted criticism.

Yes, there is valid criticism towards the special teams. But it appears to be a league-wide issue, especially if you look at the Broncos game last night. Or during the Carolina game, where Graham Gano had an extra point blocked.

And in a statement game where there were really very few negatives, it just seems like an odd thing to bring that back up as the main thing we wish to complain about.

And the complaints that O'Dea didn't fix anything yet, just seemed premature to me. He's only been there one week, and his specialty was the snap/hold/kick process. Not necessarily coverage, or other issues that seem to be plaguing that facet of the team.

Payton's obviously not going to be firing anybody. The team obviously believes that it has made the necessary adjustments to improve that unit going forward. So I just seems like wasted effort to complain about it to me. Especially after a game like that.

But I know I'm in the minority, and I'm going to do my best to quit discussing special teams on this board. Because it doesn't do anybody any good to complain about it, and it certainly doesn't do anybody any good to have me try to assuage those concerns.

Lutz made all of his extra points, so that's something.
Our coverage units are still terrible, but give the ram's punter some credit, he was punting almost 60 yards on every attempt.

Now when Lewis fumbled, I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach that things were about to implode, but they didn't. Nice to see coach and Lewis respond with that reverse.

All in all, our special teams are still one of the worst in the league, and we are still losing the field position battle which is only covered up by Brees and the offense.

The thing is, with our depth I'm not sure you can do anything about it this year. We have guys that should be starters on special teams, that are starting on defense.

On McMahon, this isn't an isolated incident. Special teams have been bad for a long time.

One of the reasons Tampa beat Seattle was superb special teams play. The Bucs punter kept Seattle pinned deep in their own territory throughout the game with booming punts that were repeatedly covered by Bucs gunners near the goal line. Seattle's punter was decent, but not as good, and their punt coverage was a little bit leaky. Field position played a major role in this game. If we want to beat the Bucs in Tampa, we can't afford the kind of ST play we've been seeing. We've got to improve if we want to make the playoffs.

We want our team to play good in all areas.
And that in a nutshell is my issue. I couldn't give a wet rat fart how they play in all areas. I want to be entertained first and foremost. And I want them to win more than they lose.

I don't want to analyze what went wrong when they put up 49 points on one of the top defense in the league. I want to enjoy the win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom