great news for a change.... (1 Viewer)

robsmith32

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Something how really good news is so often buried in so-so type news.

looked in the link on the msn page from the car show about the unveiling of a HUMMER Hx what runs on E85, soso news.

there is in the article stating:
<cite>CEO of General Motors Rick Wagoner also announced a partnership with Coskata to produce ethanol by using a new process that is not dependent on corn and requires much less water than other processes. A pilot program is expected to be in place by 2009 with the cost of production at less than $1 per gallon</cite>

NOW that is AWESOME News.. Ethanol that isn't going to demand corn, and cost less than a buck to produce.. that's downright exciting news. Not only cheaper e-85 gas, but the costs involved with all the produce that came because of the demand on corn.

Question is, what is it based on.... what will that impact..... enquiring minds NEED to know.

Link here http://autoshow.autos.msn.com/autoshow/Detroit2008/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=5895627.

Last edited:
Yea, I read that announcement from the auto show. I have been highly critical of Ethanol for many reasons but the biggest one is that we shouldn't get our fuel from the food supply.

Celulostic Ethanol solves that problem and many others, IF it can be done and done for a reasonable price.

BTW, Celulostic Ethanol isn't a cure all but it could be a big piece of solving the energy puzzle.

When you see one of the big oil companies building an ethanol plant, consider it viable.

Shell has announced a test in Hawaii using pond algae. I don't know whether to take this as a step forward or a reason for more Shell management to get a free trip to Hawaii.

I'd be worried if they were taken algae from the reefs.. Granted you said pond algae, but hawaii is known for that part of the reef.. and how the silt runoff from the tree harvesting has endangered the reef already... Wouldnt' want them touching that algae, as it is a big contributer in the balance of the reef.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom