Great NFL.com article on Dennis Allen and the defense (1 Viewer)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
"Anybody that tells you they don't care what the public perception is is filling you with a lot of bulls--- "

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
At first, I was really upset we promoted him to replace Ryan. I thought, after he flopped in Oakland, he wouldn't be a success in Nawlins. Thought there were better candidates out there. Now, I'm glad we got him.

OP
OP

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Only strange thing about Allen is that his defense design/playcalling is off for the first game or two.
Yeah, I think a lot of what we run relies on communication and knowing everyone's responsibilities. We run a lot of zone and, when we're clicking, it's really tough to puncture. But when one little thing is off, it can cause a lot of leaky yardage.

AL_Bundy

Oldschool Saints Fan
Reaction score
Only strange thing about Allen is that his defense design/playcalling is off for the first game or two.
Dennis Allen reminds me of a boxing counter puncher. Notice how teams can sometimes move on us for a few possessions, sometimes making it look almost easy. But D.A. figures out what they are doing, makes his adjustments and shuts them down. Once he sees your offensive game plan, he will come up with a defensive plan to stop it. Just like a boxer, sometimes he has to eat a couple punches, before he nails you with his counter punch. He always seems to make great half time adjustments. Opposing teams best chance at scoring are their first two possessions, after that, D.A. will have come up with a counter to whatever you are trying to do offensively.

nickj009

Veteran
Reaction score
Dennis Allen reminds me of a boxing counter puncher. Notice how teams can sometimes move on us for a few possessions, sometimes making it look almost easy. But D.A. figures out what they are doing, makes his adjustments and shuts them down. Once he sees your offensive game plan, he will come up with a defensive plan to stop it. Just like a boxer, sometimes he has to eat a couple punches, before he nails you with his counter punch. He always seems to make great half time adjustments. Opposing teams best chance at scoring are their first two possessions, after that, D.A. will have come up with a counter to whatever you are trying to do offensively.
True, he really has been excellent with in-game adjustments. Maybe top 5 in the league.

cajundave

Veteran
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Great article. Got a good idea of how much influence he has had in selecting rookies and free agents. I hope we find another good d-coordinator when Allen leaves for a HC job.

Mackenzie

Black and Gold Forever
Reaction score
Let's enjoy while we still have him. He'll be a head coach again somewhere - just a matter of time.
I don't think so. I think owners know a good coordinator doesn't make a good HC and I don't know he does all that well without the great draft classes of Ireland.

town123

Rookie
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"Anybody that tells you they don't care what the public perception is is filling you with a lot of bulls--- "

Goosebumps

LoE

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think so. I think owners know a good coordinator doesn't make a good HC and I don't know he does all that well without the great draft classes of Ireland.
Let's see. Within ten years, I say DA will be a head coach again. You responded "facepalm" to my comment. In other words, I'm an idiot. OK. Let's see if you're willing to accept "facepalm" on your comments when it happens.

SuperKid

Bring us 1 more
Reaction score
Well from that article he's a guy who interviews exceptionally well, and possesses excellent communication skills. He was a long shot for the Oakland job but blew away the Raiders brass in the interview process.

Also according to Payton he's had tremendous input and say in acquiring and assembling the Defense as it stands now.

Adds Payton: "We're in one of these industries that, by nature, can be very non-trusting. Dennis has got a tact about him that disarms people in a cordial way, in a very positive way. That goes a long way in any business. He is one of those guys who's secure in his own skin and is going to interject at the right time."

Which leads me to believe that Allen had a big voice in the acquisitions of Demario, Klein, Apple, and the Drafting of Rankins, Bell, Lattimore, Davenport even if he didn't scout them alone.

In a world where Adam Gase, Zac Taylor, Kliff Kingbury, and Freddie Kitchens are currently holding Head Coaching jobs, someone with as much Football acumen, and social intelligence as Allen will get a Second chance, it's only a matter of time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom