Great NFL.com article on Dennis Allen and the defense (1 Viewer)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
"Anybody that tells you they don't care what the public perception is is filling you with a lot of bulls--- "

At first, I was really upset we promoted him to replace Ryan. I thought, after he flopped in Oakland, he wouldn't be a success in Nawlins. Thought there were better candidates out there. Now, I'm glad we got him.

Only strange thing about Allen is that his defense design/playcalling is off for the first game or two.

Yeah, I think a lot of what we run relies on communication and knowing everyone's responsibilities. We run a lot of zone and, when we're clicking, it's really tough to puncture. But when one little thing is off, it can cause a lot of leaky yardage.

Only strange thing about Allen is that his defense design/playcalling is off for the first game or two.
Dennis Allen reminds me of a boxing counter puncher. Notice how teams can sometimes move on us for a few possessions, sometimes making it look almost easy. But D.A. figures out what they are doing, makes his adjustments and shuts them down. Once he sees your offensive game plan, he will come up with a defensive plan to stop it. Just like a boxer, sometimes he has to eat a couple punches, before he nails you with his counter punch. He always seems to make great half time adjustments. Opposing teams best chance at scoring are their first two possessions, after that, D.A. will have come up with a counter to whatever you are trying to do offensively.

Dennis Allen reminds me of a boxing counter puncher. Notice how teams can sometimes move on us for a few possessions, sometimes making it look almost easy. But D.A. figures out what they are doing, makes his adjustments and shuts them down. Once he sees your offensive game plan, he will come up with a defensive plan to stop it. Just like a boxer, sometimes he has to eat a couple punches, before he nails you with his counter punch. He always seems to make great half time adjustments. Opposing teams best chance at scoring are their first two possessions, after that, D.A. will have come up with a counter to whatever you are trying to do offensively.
True, he really has been excellent with in-game adjustments. Maybe top 5 in the league.

That was a very good read. He comes across as a "pull no punches" kind of guy.

• 1Like
Reactions: LoE
Great article. Got a good idea of how much influence he has had in selecting rookies and free agents. I hope we find another good d-coordinator when Allen leaves for a HC job.

• 1Like
Let's enjoy while we still have him. He'll be a head coach again somewhere - just a matter of time.
I don't think so. I think owners know a good coordinator doesn't make a good HC and I don't know he does all that well without the great draft classes of Ireland.

• 1Like
I don't think so. I think owners know a good coordinator doesn't make a good HC and I don't know he does all that well without the great draft classes of Ireland.

Let's see. Within ten years, I say DA will be a head coach again. You responded "facepalm" to my comment. In other words, I'm an idiot. OK. Let's see if you're willing to accept "facepalm" on your comments when it happens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom