Great read on RBs in the passing game. Kamara is an “alien.” (1 Viewer)

Despite the stats that show AK41 in a class by himself... the RB position in the NFL... which had been degraded draft-wise and stat-wise 5-10 seasons ago, is making a comeback.

Not only AK41 (who I have learned is in a class by himself), but Zeke, McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, Saquon Barkley, and perhaps a few others, the running back position is making a comeback draft-wise and salary-wise.

It is sort of like the guard position. Tackles had generally been more well-regarded and more highly paid than guards (or centers) because tackles blocked the best pass rushers. I believe Payton and the Saints were instrumental in changing that, with better guards (Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks) than tackles (Bushrod and Stinchcomb). That has reversed now with the Saints with Armstead and Ramczyk.

Last edited:
mccaffery is good but he gets taken down so easily it's so weird

That is so true. I've seem McCafery taken down by first contact countless times while Kamara drags defensive tackles and shrugs off linebackers like they're just bothersome pests!!

The combination of balance, strength and speed makes Kamara head and shoulders a better back than McCaffery!!……...IMO!

Btw, I find rather odd what the article says about receiving RBs. It says that basically the passing game contribution by RBs is close to zero in Expected Point Added, but for a few (like Kamara) that can line up wide. This conclusion is too extreme. A well executed underneath pass can cause defenses some problems (Saints 2015 knew this well). Also, there’s something that EPA doesn’t account for, that’s defenses having to take into account a receiving back. A pass to a back here and there will keep the secondary honest, I guess.

Despite the stats that show AK41 in a class by himself... the RB position in the NFL... which had been degraded draft-wise and stat-wise 5-10 seasons ago, is making a comeback.

Yeah, it seems to be a cycle with sports. The game changes or trends set in and the players coming in are mostly built for the old way of doing things and the position takes a hit, everyone talks about it dying, then the crop of players that grew up adapted to those changes start to get into the respective league and suddenly we realize the position might not be so dead after all.

Big men in the NBA seem to be enjoying a similar narrative arc. Once considered left for dead, big men are in the midst of a major resurgence.

Only other RB I would want to consider other than AK is Saquan. He seems to have that amazing cat like balance/vision as well.

:sir-saint:

The hate on McCaffery is fun. Almost like the Panthers have Brees tossing the rock, or Thomas pulling major attention.
The difference between Brees & Newton is like having McCaffery playing w/a sandlot QB. (yeah, I know Cam was an MVP, LOL)
Taking NOTHING away from Kamara, but damn, hitting the receiver in the hands in stride, gives slightly better results than having to reach back, jump or dive @ full speed for the catch.

Not a dang thing wrong with McCaffrey. If we didn't have AK, there's not another back in the NFL that I'd rather have. He just had the mis-fortune to get drafted by the wrong team. That's all.
As I said when they chose him, McCaffrey to the Panthers is like a box of PrismaColor pencils to a kindergartener.

kamara will get PAID soon.

what do yall think of this?

they suggest, 4 years, around 50 million. thatd put him roughly 3rd in RBs
Thus is why we need to win now; this team is WAAAAAY too stacked to stay together for long.

Only other RB I would want to consider other than AK is Saquan. He seems to have that amazing cat like balance/vision as well.

:sir-saint:

..... and he's bigger. Even tho i'd consider it... I still go with AK41, he has fully embraced N.O. and the cultyre. He has to retire a Saint. It would break my heart to see him with another team. :facts3:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom