Great segment on Trevor Penning (1 Viewer)

Ross says he's struggling with the inside speed rush
about (16:00 in)

That was one of the dumbest things I've ever watched.

Give me a nasty player that can demoralize dudes without throwing punches after the whistle, not one that can't control his emotions.

Everyone wants a Kyle Turley.

Screw that. Give me a Willie Roaf, Jahri Evans, LeCharles Bentley, Terron Armstead or Carl Nicks.

Those guys were nasty.

I’m not taking a side on Penning but you make a great point — great o linemen have generally been quiet beasts, not crazy guys like Turley. Turley is not at the same level as the other guys you mention and maybe that’s because he let his anger get the best of him.

If he can't get himself under control, he will become a flag magnet in the NFL. Doesn't matter how strong and tough you are if you're undermining your team with an inability to control yourself.

That definitely got me fired up. Especially the senior bowl clip vs Ohio St.

But…..these videos where they don’t have enough clips…..so the show the same ones 20 times…..weak.

Give me a nasty player that can demoralize dudes without throwing punches after the whistle, not one that can't control his emotions.

Screw that. Give me a Willie Roaf, Jahri Evans, LeCharles Bentley, Terron Armstead or Carl Nicks.

Those guys were nasty.

I seem to remember that LeCharles started out his rookie camp exactly like Penning did.

I seem to remember that LeCharles started out his rookie camp exactly like Penning did.
My comments were not a knock against Penning. He's a rookie and he'll learn.

The guy on that youtube video was basically singing "Hook" by Blues Travelers. Rambled on about nothing but did so with inflection, mentioned heroes from long ago while spewing a bunch of nonsense. Penning isn't Dick Butkus, this isn't the 70's and fighting your own teammates to the point of getting kicked out of practice isn't a good thing no matter how hard this dude spins it with a black and gold hook. It was dumb but it worked, he got the clicks he was looking for.

Here's no spin.

If he was the Falcon's first round pick we would all be making fun of him for not being able to control his emotions. We would be making jokes about CJ playing DE twice a year just to get this dude throwing punches.

Here's the reality. He's a rookie, has a hot temper and probably feels like he has to come in and show he isn't willing to take sheet from anyone. DA sent him a message today and doesn't want another situation of having a player suspended and another injured because of friendly fire. I'm guessing Penning is going to learn from today or the next message will be really loud. I'm sure DA wants Penning to ground defenders into dust up until the whistle but then wants him to get ready for the next play and to be a professional. To think otherwise would be completely ignoring the culture both DA and SP built around this team.

Those guys were nasty.
Bentley punched a guy at practice and broke his face....Nick's fell in the draft for fighting at a college party...Penning will be fine he's just letting everyone know he's a dog....this reminds me of when Jamar chase was dropping balls at the beginning of Bengals camp and people were calling him a bust....crickets now...let's let him fail in a game before freaking out

Trent Williams literally punched Richard Sherman in the face in a post game interview on national television and he's arguably the best left tackle in football. I get its too much for some people but I bet Bucs fans love that ginger center of theirs for the same reason most of us can't stand him. Same reason opposing fans hate CJGJ but hes one the most popular players on our team. The front office knew what they were getting when they drafted him. Until he starts catching 15 yard penalties I am riding with the kid. Especially when you have two guards who seemingly wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight we could use a mean streak or two on the offensive line.

Trevor Snow, the bastage son of Kyle Turley has arrived. Sounds like he might end up being the offensive side version of Ceedy. A guy that gets under your skin. Hopefully he can keep the personal fouls on himself down under the Turley mean.

Obviously, the kid wants attention, but is getting too much. He got drafted top 20, so it's time to turn off the PR highlight draft campaign.

Nasty is good, but you can have too much of it. Couple of pancakes per game, play whistle-to-whistle, and don't let people abuse your QB, but nothing beyond that.

Penning is trying to prove he belongs there. He's going from a high school stick to a small college hog and now he's in the big pond for the first time. Once he gains some confidence in his abilities at this level, he'll settle down. I give it a year.

I love Trevor Penning's nasty streak for the a very clear reason: it is something you cannot teach, and it is always easier to rein something like that in than it is to crank it up.

I will shout this from the rooftops because as a coach, intensity is something you absolutely LOVE.

Do I want him to be Kyle Turley? Hell no. Kyle Turley was out of control.

I also don't think he will be Kyle Turley. He has a coaching staff and veteran group of o-linemen who are going to set boundaries for him and cultivate that energy in the right direction. Will he get a penalty sometimes? Will he have a nasty reputation? Probably.

Will he be Kyle Turley or Richie Incognito. I highly doubt it. I tell my offensive linemen all the time that there is a huge gulf between being a d*ckh**d and a piece of s**t. Opponents hate the former. Teammates hate the latter.

Yes, Penning is fighting his teammates, but that is pretty normal stuff this time of year. The coaches nipped it when he went to far. The panic over this dude being a little too intense is extremely premature.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom