Greatest linebackers in NFL history (1 Viewer)

New Arena has ranked the 25 greatest linebackers in NFL history. The list includes retired, newly-retired, and still active players. Our own #57 made the list as number 22.

City Champ should be higher on that list.

If the Saints had drafted Lawrence Taylor first overall instead of George Rogers and somehow still drafted Ricky Jackson in the second round of the 1981 draft it would have altered the entire history of the NFL. When I think of the Dome Patrol I think of Lawrence Taylor in Pat Swilling's spot and what Jim Mora could have done with that and maybe he would be regarded in the same echelon as Bill Parcells.

If the Saints had drafted Lawrence Taylor first overall instead of George Rogers and somehow still drafted Ricky Jackson in the second round of the 1981 draft it would have altered the entire history of the NFL. When I think of the Dome Patrol I think of Lawrence Taylor in Pat Swilling's spot and what Jim Mora could have done with that and maybe he would be regarded in the same echelon as Bill Parcells.
It is an incredible thought. But the middle of the DP would not be in place for another 4 or 5 years. I have my doubts you would have been able to keep RJ and LT together long enough. By the time Sam and Vaughn got there, it would have been hard to compete with the big markets for LT. And don’t forget his USFL stunt. That likely would have turned out very different if we had been involved.

Lol. This is a joke right:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: There are at least least 12 and I’m being generous 12 on the list that should be behind the city champ. Writer has no credibility writing blasphemy such as this!!!!

Hugh Green came out of Pitt but Rickey was the real deal. Arguably the biggest steal in the second round

Please go watch film on him as he was a monster and tough as nails. There’s a reason why he has a award named after him and the type of lb that would be feared in any era. Now I wouldn’t put him above LT but the man is a legend.
With today's rules all of that aggression would get him flagged to death. Bottom line, you see that dude covering AK or C-Mac? Running down the seam covering the speed of today's game? Perhaps. I just disagree.

With today's rules all of that aggression would get him flagged to death. Bottom line, you see that dude covering AK or C-Mac? Running down the seam covering the speed of today's game? Perhaps. I just disagree.
Flags & fines would definitely be a problem. Can you imagine the thousands of dollars of fines Dick, Rickey, Mike, or Lawrence would be paying every week?! Do you think the NFL didn't have fast & elusive RBs in Dick's era? There isn't a LB in the league today that I would take over Dick, Rickey, Mike, or Lawrence in their prime. The only problem they would have is adjusting to the rule changes.

Flags & fines would definitely be a problem. Can you imagine the thousands of dollars of fines Dick, Rickey, Mike, or Lawrence would be paying every week?! Do you think the NFL didn't have fast & elusive RBs in Dick's era? There isn't a LB in the league today that I would take over Dick, Rickey, Mike, or Lawrence in their prime. The only problem they would have is adjusting to the rule changes.
You are ignoring the speed of today's game. There weren't any LT's like Terron back then. So the DE's that were speed rushers weren't going up against somebody that they couldn't blow by all the time. LB's weren't covering TE's or slot receivers that run like these guys today. They weren't covering backs out in the flats that have the skillsets of backs today. It wasn't even a passing league. These guys played against run heavy teams. It would be foolish to assume they could play in any era and be just as dominant.

Please go watch film on him as he was a monster and tough as nails. There’s a reason why he has a award named after him and the type of lb that would be feared in any era. Now I wouldn’t put him above LT but the man is a legend.
Butkus, Nitschke, Bednarik, and Mike Curtis could play in any era. Probably get fined quite often tho...

Curtis played every game in a rage. This is not what I would want to see across the line if I were a RB

mike-curtis.jpg

However, many benefitted from playing in an era when this was a legal tackle.

mike-meets-roman.jpg

This is all conjecture of course. Great athletes are great athletes in any era. In today’s league they would have more & better off season training, medical & health options, injury recovery, etc. I could argue with better overall health they would be even more of beast in today’s league.

Do you think they would flag Jack Lambert for taunting?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom