Greatest male vocalist ever thread (1 Viewer)

Pretty much depends on genre and what they are trying to do. Elvis, Mercury, Steve Perry, all were incredible. Mike Patton has an exceptional ability set. But, like the comparison between David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar it’s looking at what they do and their strengths. If you want showmanship, rock and entertainment it’s Diamond Dave all the way. If you want bubblegum hair rock and trying to be cool, but a better singer then it’s Hagar.

According to Rolling Stone Magazine, it's Ray Charles (Number 2 all time), and Aretha Franklin is rated number one of all time. Bob Marley ranked 19th, while Kurt Cobain was at the 45th spot. Looks like the 179 "experts" from Rolling Stones didn't think Frank Sinatra made the cut, which is a little shocking. I would like to see who the 179 experts are who made these picks.

According to Rolling Stone Magazine, it's Ray Charles (Number 2 all time), and Aretha Franklin is rated number one of all time. Bob Marley ranked 19th, while Kurt Cobain was at the 45th spot.

Breaking news!!! Aretha Franklin revealed to be a man!

Franklin is Finkle. Finkle is Franklin. Franklin is a man!

Looks like Los Angeles knows singing talent better than New York. For some reason, I thought the Rolling Stone Magazine was British, but it's not.

Freddie Mercury is the best, according to L.A. Weekly. This would be really difficult to argue, he probably could of sang any style.

Update: O.k. link is back up.

Last edited:
Looks like Los Angeles knows singing talent better than New York. For some reason, I thought the Rolling Stone Magazine was British, but it's not.

Freddie Mercury is the best, according to L.A. Weekly. This would be really difficult to argue, he probably could of sang any style.

Update: Looks like they killed the link today for some reason. Is this a Frank Sinatra conspiracy? Frank Sinatra was ranked 6th I believe. Axl Rose was rated in the top 10 and he could sing in 6 octaves. I have a new appreciation of Guns N Roses, the article mentioned he was the last rock n roll singer.

Axel Rose number 2? Shaking my head. Even within the same genre, no way is he in the same game as Sebastian Bach. I probably listened to more GnR but for vocals it has to be Bach.

Axel Rose number 2? Shaking my head. Even within the same genre, no way is he in the same game as Sebastian Bach. I probably listened to more GnR but for vocals it has to be Bach.

Well, Axel Rose was considered to have the greatest vocal range for awhile. Sebastian Bach is supposedly only a 3 octave. To put this in perspective, Axl Rose has a greater range then Mariah Carey, if that means anything to you. This is simply stating range and proof of work. The big surprise is Mike Patton from Faith No More has the greatest range of either Axl Rose or Freddie Mercury. I'm at the mercy of people who did the work on octave range.

If greatest singer means having the greatest vocal range, than Mike Patton wins. It's just a matter on how you set the metrics of greatest. Personally, I think Freddie Mercury is more of an opera singer, than a rock singer. Axl Rose has a real high pitch voice also. Now who has the most manly voice of the three, I think Mike Patton does.

Kurt Cobain can out scream/sing any one in my mind, but it's interesting learning about the different measures of singing ability. Kim Shattuck is a screamer also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom