Greatest male vocalist ever thread (1 Viewer)

Personality quirks aside, Axl Rose definitely belongs on anybody's top five list of rock vocalists.

Well, Axel Rose was considered to have the greatest vocal range for awhile. Sebastian Bach is supposedly only a 3 octave. To put this in perspective, Axl Rose has a greater range then Mariah Carey, if that means anything to you. This is simply stating range and proof of work. The big surprise is Mike Patton from Faith No More has the greatest range of either Axl Rose or Freddie Mercury. I'm at the mercy of people who did the work on octave range.

If greatest singer means having the greatest vocal range, than Mike Patton wins. It's just a matter on how you set the metrics of greatest. Personally, I think Freddie Mercury is more of an opera singer, than a rock singer. Axl Rose has a real high pitch voice also. Now who has the most manly voice of the three, I think Mike Patton does.

Kurt Cobain can out scream/sing any one in my mind, but it's interesting learning about the different measures of singing ability. Kim Shattuck is a screamer also.

I had heard that about Mike Patton. I liked a lot of Faith No More but I have friends that are really in to all of his work. I’ll just say that clearly range isn’t everything. I like the music but of Mariah, Axel and Patton I would say she is the only one that makes it sound like music in each of the ranges she sings in. And much of her stuff was a bit high for my taste.

I had heard that about Mike Patton. I liked a lot of Faith No More but I have friends that are really in to all of his work. I’ll just say that clearly range isn’t everything. I like the music but of Mariah, Axel and Patton I would say she is the only one that makes it sound like music in each of the ranges she sings in. And much of her stuff was a bit high for my taste.

Mariah sings like an angel, she is truly gifted. Not a huge fan of her music though, just like listening to her voice. I like Paula Abdul as far as the pop stuff goes. Another thread though. Agreed vocal range isn't the only factor, but not to many people think Kurt sings the best. Great topic and thread, like these kinds.

1583615024028.png

Mariah sings like an angel, she is truly gifted. Not a huge fan of her music though, just like listening to her voice. I like Paula Abdul as far as the pop stuff goes. Another thread though. Agreed vocal range isn't the only factor, but not to many people think Kurt sings the best. Great topic and thread, like these kinds.

1583615024028.png

Agreed. And I don’t think Cobain necessarily sings bad, but he is another odd choice for me just because I don’t have to think too far away from him to find better. Speaking of voices of Angels, Lane Staley had just that and I don’t easily say that about men. (although that’s how I would also describe Jeff Buckley from my OP)

Lane loaded but still sounding incredible.

I should have mentioned him in the thread for celebrities that it made you most sad to see go.i always had this image of them as bad arses. But he died like a lonely little boy.

Cold had a great tribute to him and Kurt. Really cool lyrics here

Last edited:
Agreed. And I don’t think Cobain necessarily sings bad, but he is another odd choice for me just because I don’t have to think too far away from him to find better. Speaking of voices of Angels, Lane Staley had just that and I don’t easily say that about men. (although that’s how I would also describe Jeff Buckley from my OP)

Lane loaded but still sounding incredible.

I should have mentioned him in the thread for celebrities that it made you most sad to see go.i always had this image of them as bad arses. But he died like a lonely little boy.

Cold had a great tribute to him and Kurt. Really cool lyrics here

It's all preference, there really isn't gonna be a right answer. It's art. It's like arguing what crayon color is best. ....By the way, the correct answer is blue-green. Yup! Many people like Lane Stanley and Chris Cornel as singers, but does that make them the greatest singers?....No it doesn't. There is a saying, that the majority are wrong.....

1583631639767.png

“If I had to say who I thought the best singers were, I’d say first that I don’t know there’s a definitive answer as in my opinion it’s subjective, and second that my focus is primarily rock singers,” he told Spin. “That said, I enjoy Freddie Mercury, Elvis Presley, Paul McCartney, [Nazareth singer] Dan McCafferty, Janis Joplin, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Roger Daltrey, Don Henley, [Electric Light Orchestra frontman] Jeff Lynne, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, [jazz singer] Jimmy Scott, Etta James, Fiona Apple, [Pretenders frontwoman] Chrissie Hynde, Stevie Wonder, James Brown and a ton of others (predominantly Seventies rock singers) and would rather hear any of them anytime rather than me!” ~Axl Rose Gardens

Rock:
1. Paul McCartney (young)
2. Bowie
3. Robert Plant
4. Jagger
5. Eric Camen
Honorable Mention: Sting, Vetter, Rick Springfield, Steve Perry, Prince, Jimi Hendrix, Rik Ocasek (Cars), Jim Morrison

Soul/Funk:
1. James Brown
2. Sam Cooke
3. Marvin/Luther (draw)
4. M Jack
5. Stevie Wonder (young)
Honorable mention: Just Too Many! Babyface, Teddy Pendergrass, Sly, Felix Cavaliere (the Rascals), Rick Astley, Johnny Gill, Aaron Hall (Guy), Allen McNeil (Troop), etc.

Big Band/Jazz:
1. Ray Charles
2. Nat King Cole
3. Satchmo
4. Sinatra
5. Harry Belafonte

Rock:
1. Paul McCartney (young)
2. Bowie
3. Robert Plant
4. Jagger
5. Eric Camen
Honorable Mention: Sting, Vetter, Rick Springfield, Steve Perry, Prince, Jimi Hendrix, Rik Ocasek (Cars), Jim Morrison

Soul/Funk:
1. James Brown
2. Sam Cooke
3. Marvin/Luther (draw)
4. M Jack
5. Stevie Wonder (young)
Honorable mention: Just Too Many! Babyface, Teddy Pendergrass, Sly, Felix Cavaliere (the Rascals), Rick Astley, Johnny Gill, Aaron Hall (Guy), Allen McNeil (Troop), etc.

Big Band/Jazz:
1. Ray Charles
2. Nat King Cole
3. Satchmo
4. Sinatra
5. Harry Belafonte
To your soul/funk list I'll add Jackie Wilson. Four octave range and smooth as silk.

To the rock genre I'll add Chris Isaak. Great cover of Heart Full of Soul. I get it, this thread is "greatest male vocalist of all time" but there are so many genres and vocal styles that as always it comes down to a matter of personal preference :)

John Fogerty and Eddie Veddar. Both have very powerful voices, but why does Eddie's lyrics seem so empty? Just putting them out there for thought.

To your soul/funk list I'll add Jackie Wilson. Four octave range and smooth as silk.

OMG! How could I have overlooked this man! Thanks! I would probably change the list like this now:

Soul/Funk:
1. James Brown
2. Sam Cooke
3. Jackie Wilson
4. Marvin/Luther (draw)
5. M Jack

Stevie Wonder (young Stevie - not "Don't Drink and Drive" 1980s Stevie) Goes among the many others in high praise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom