Greatest male vocalist ever thread (1 Viewer)

Didn't read any of the thread, but it's Freddy Mercury, and if you think it's anyone else, you're wrong.

I also felt this way before they made that terrible movie about Queen.

Interesting points from another forum (not my posts)
=====================

Good question. Last weekend, I was listening to songs from "Off The Wall" and it struck me how much stronger his voice was on that album and "Thriller" than it was on most of his later output.

In my opinion, you have singers and song stylists.

Singers are those I find to be technically incredible and song stylists are those who can sing a song in a way that is wonderful, even if not technically perfect.

Marvin was a singer, Stevie is a stylist.

Luther Vandross and Peabo Bryson and John Legend are singers, Teddy Pendergrass, Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett were stylists.
=======================

It's all very subjective and everyone has his own opinion. When it comes to what makes a "great singer", I'd suppose many of us consider the songs as much as the singer.

Michael certainly had plenty of "umph" in his earlier work but even then, there were songs that just did not hit the mark.

A lot of his most iconic songs could have been sung differently but just as well by another singer in my opinion.

I can't say that about the best records of Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Al Jarreau or Luther Vandross among others.

On some records, they put something special on every note.

Largest vocal range I think was the Geoff Tate.
I *think I read that. May be wrong.

Eddie's lyrics empty? Shirley you can't be serious. If anything, people found PJ's as having been too heavy

Change my mind is the catchy phrase now. What song or songs from Pearl Jam keep you deep in thought?

1585324716026.png

This is probably Nirvana's most raunchy and mindless lyrics, but after you listen to it, you will never be the same. The lyrics are not empty is what I'm getting at.

Last edited:
Seems like 80% of the picks are guys who can do one limited thing very, very well
Ward was the only one to think of broadway singers and someone else was cultured enough to mention Paul Robeson
Those picking Freddie Mercury are right, but those not picking Prince are like crazy wrong - both had power, range, expression, nuance - they check way more boxes than anyone else in rock
But
Ted Neely and Carl Anderson were unequaled in the film version of Jesus Christ Superstar
Ben Vereen? Mandy Patikin? Norbert Leo Butz?

I was listening to the U.S.A. for Africa song and noticed that the guy from Journey could sing quite well, so looked him up. Looks like I'm not the only one who noticed his talent.

"Stephen Ray Perry (born January 22, 1949)[1] is an American singer and songwriter. He is best known as the lead singer of the rock band Journeyduring their most commercially successful periods from 1977 to 1987, and again from 1995 to 1998.

Perry is renowned for his tenor vocal range, which spans from F#2 to A5.[45][better source needed] Perry's voice has been described as a "high 'tenor altino' [with] a tone somewhere between Sam Cooke and Aretha Franklin."[5] He has been dubbed "The Voice",[46][47][48] a moniker originally coined by former chart peer Jon Bon Jovi.[46][47] Queen guitarist Brian May said: "Perry is a truly luminous singer, in my opinion—a voice in a million."[49] Record executive, producer, and former American Idol judge and Journey session musician[50] Randy Jackson has described Perry's voice as "the golden voice," adding that aside from Robert Plant, "there's no singer in rock that even came close to Steve Perry. The power, the range, the tone—he created his own style. He mixed a little Motown, a little Everly Brothers, a little Zeppelin."[6] Journey guitarist Neal Schon likened Perry's ability to that of Aretha Franklin, and agreed with Fozzy vocalist Chris Jericho's assertion that Perry "might be the greatest male singer of all time".[51]"

Wikipedia

According to Reagan Ray.

1. Freddie Mercury
2. Robert Plant
3. Ann Wilson
4. Chris Cornell
5. Steve Perry

Last edited:
Nat King Cole
Jerry Vale
Tony Bennett

These three to me, rank right up there. There are so many though, because there are so many genre’s of music. There are only a few I have seen posted that I would not agree with. Great thread.

Seems like 80% of the picks are guys who can do one limited thing very, very well
Ward was the only one to think of broadway singers and someone else was cultured enough to mention Paul Robeson
Those picking Freddie Mercury are right, but those not picking Prince are like crazy wrong - both had power, range, expression, nuance - they check way more boxes than anyone else in rock
But
Ted Neely and Carl Anderson were unequaled in the film version of Jesus Christ Superstar
Ben Vereen? Mandy Patikin? Norbert Leo Butz?
I know who Paul Robeson is but I didn’t mention him. Am I still cultured?

No, but this is not why
I read the Wikipedia on Steve Perry, but the article went into musical jargon and funny numbers so I used my gear head interpreter to put the jargon into terms I can understand. It says Perry’s voice is the equivalent of a Lunati cam with .540 lift, 232 duration and 284 lobe separation on intake.

So Perry is good :hihi:

I read the Wikipedia on Steve Perry, but the article went into musical jargon and funny numbers so I used my gear head interpreter to put the jargon into terms I can understand. It says Perry’s voice is the equivalent of a Lunati cam with .540 lift, 232 duration and 284 lobe separation on intake.

So Perry is good :hihi:
232, 233 - whatever it takes

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom