Greenberg tweets: "system failed miserably" (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
These are a few days old, but I just came across them on Twitter and didn't see them posted elsewhere. Looks like Greeny's got our back too (I'd rather Golic, but I think he's had our back from the start). Schefter's 180 Tuesday morning seemed to open the media floodgates:

19 Jun Mike Greenberg ‏@Espngreeny
Having unlimited authority does not mean you shouldn't be held to a standard of reasonableness. Was the NFL reasonable with the #Saints?

If I'm Vilma or one of the other players, I can't even fathom how frustrated I am. #Saints

If I'm a fan of the #Saints I let the league know how disgusted I am the only way I can. With my wallet.

Having heard from Shefty, I am more convinced than ever that the system failed miserably in the case of the #Saints. Unfair, unreasonable.

These are a few days old, but I just came across them on Twitter and didn't see them posted elsewhere. Looks like Greeny's got our back too (I'd rather Golic, but I think he's had our back from the start). Schefter's 180 Tuesday morning seemed to open the media floodgates:

Having unlimited authority does not mean you shouldn't be held to a standard of reasonableness. Was the NFL reasonable with the #Saints?

If I'm Vilma or one of the other players, I can't even fathom how frustrated I am. #Saints

If I'm a fan of the #Saints I let the league know how disgusted I am the only way I can. With my wallet.

Having heard from Shefty, I am more convinced than ever that the system failed miserably in the case of the #Saints. Unfair, unreasonable.
Did he check with Jeff Duncan before tweeting this?

Did he check with Jeff Duncan before tweeting this?

nope. otherwise he would have searched high and low for that one disgruntled ex-player/coach etc. and quoted him as if it were gospel.

For Greengerg to say this is BIG! Not that his opinion means anything, but he's the classic company man and a sissy to boot. That he's saying something negative about the NFL tells me that the tide really is turning.

The last part is the most telling. What exactly did Adam Schefter say that convinced him that the process was unfair and failed miserably?

For Greengerg to say this is BIG! Not that his opinion means anything, but he's the classic company man and a sissy to boot. That he's saying something negative about the NFL tells me that the tide really is turning.
The tide is defintely turning as far as opinion goes, with time for people to actually think and digest the "evidence". There is an understanding now that an entire season and several million dollars for Peyton and Vilma -- harshest penalties IN LEAGUE HISTORY -- are unwarranted and unreasonable. Punishment out of proportion to crime.

Fascinating on the local scene that just as this happens Jeff Duncan writes his worst pieces of Yellow Journalism to date. Duncan's starting to twist in the wind after coming down so strong with the league against the Saints, and against logic really.

So even Greenberg, who spent the better part of the past 4 months bashing us at the devil is changing his tune?

^^^This is the only one I don't agree with. Sure, as Saints fans, we can stop buying NFL licensed product, but in the grand scheme of things, how much will that really affect the NFL's pocketbook.

The only other way would be to stop buying tickets to the games, but then we are hurting our team as much or more than the league as a whole, both from a financial standpoint and from a HFA standpoint.

Exactly! The jock/analysts like Golic and Dilfer have always been skeptical of the league, but now the "journalists" are finally starting to come around too (ironic, since they're the ones who are supposed to always demand facts). Florio led the charge, and now Schefter's bringing reinforcements. And with everyone in the NFL following Schefter on Twitter, he could bring a lot of people with him.

The tide is defintely turning as far as opinion goes, with time for people to actually think and digest the "evidence". There is an understanding now that an entire season and several million dollars for Peyton and Vilma -- harshest penalties IN LEAGUE HISTORY -- are unwarranted and unreasonable. Punishment out of proportion to crime.

Fascinating on the local scene that just as this happens Jeff Duncan writes his worst pieces of Yellow Journalism to date. Duncan's starting to twist in the wind after coming down so strong with the league against the Saints.

It appears that many of these sportswriters have to have someone do their thinking for them. It wasn't until Florio :covri: started to question the so-called "evidence" and spelled out the discrepancies in detail that these guys/gals started to catch on, "Oh, yeah! Something is wrong here."

But the tide is definitely starting to turn, without Duncan.

It appears that many of these sportswriters have to have someone do their thinking for them. It wasn't until Florio :covri: started to question the so-called "evidence" and spelled out the discrepancies in detail that these guys/gals started to catch on, "Oh, yeah! Something is wrong here."

But the tide is definitely starting to turn, without Duncan.
Duncan is dug in and looking badly out of step. That last article was worthy of Joseph Goebbels.

He describes a PowerPoint slide that contains pictures of Mike Karney annotated with bullet points on playcalling and performance tendencies when Karney is on the field in the formation as "targeting Karney for a Bounty".

I mean, that is the worst kind of violation of journalistic standards. It's flat out low and dishonest, and that's where he has gotten to.

His credibility is shot.

And now Mort. Late last night:

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport
@vice_chad29 On vacation & I'm skeptical on much of what I've heard from NFL on #Saints. Not exonerating but severity demands more answers.

^^^This is the only one I don't agree with. Sure, as Saints fans, we can stop buying NFL licensed product, but in the grand scheme of things, how much will that really affect the NFL's pocketbook.

The only other way would be to stop buying tickets to the games, but then we are hurting our team as much or more than the league as a whole, both from a financial standpoint and from a HFA standpoint.

Agreed, this is the one thing that I did not quite understand how we could accomplish. The only way we could have a real financial affect would be to stop going to games, but that would hurt Tom Benson and the team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom