Greg Norman's Saudi-funded LIV Golf Tour tees off (Update: PGA Tour agrees to merger) (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
With big money from Saudi backers, Greg Norman has now successfully recruited Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia, and others to participate in the 8-tournament series beginning Thursday in London. Mickelson, whose comments earlier this year appeared to acknowledge and then downplay human rights abuses (and murder) committed by the Saudi government leading to backlash in the US (discussed here: https://saintsreport.com/threads/phil-mickelson-drama.471382/#post-8752971) is reportedly being paid $200 million to participate in the tour. Reports are that Tiger Woods turned down even more money. Dustin Johnson just today announced his joining of the tour and his payment of $125 million to participate.

And these payments are outside of the $225 million award money that has been put into purses to make award to the finishers of the eight events in 2022. According to Norman, the Saudi backers have put about $2 billion toward tour tour over the next three years. The number of tour events per year is scheduled to increase to 14 by 2025.

The money being offered to these players is clearly dramatic - it's hard to blame them for accepting it to play golf, which is what they do for a living. But some argue that money is tainted - the product of a grotesque Saudi regime. Of course, Formula One and other international sports events continue to include and even occur in Saudi Arabia, so is this golf series somehow different?

And then there's the PGA response, which is basically to ban any LIV golf series player from participating on the PGA tour - though this is not based on a new decision, existing PGA rules effectively prohibit tour players from participating in most events outside the tour (with some exceptions). When Phil Mickelson announced he was joining the LIV tour, he said it was in part to challenge the PGA's authoritarianism in governing the lives of golfers who choose to play on the tour. Apparently the PGA has quite restrictive rules about tour players playing in events beyond the PGA tour and these restrictions are not new - it's just that the LIV tour is giving some of them enough incentive to go elsewhere.

For its part, the PGA has announced this year that it intends to stand by its rules. While the PGA does not conduct the majors tournaments in the United States and LIV golf players are eligible to play in US majors, they cannot play on any PGA tour event, nor can they participate in Ryder Cup, which falls under the PGA's sanctioning on the US side. So for now, Dustin Johnson (who has been the USA's best Ryder Cup player in recent events) is ineligible.

What do you make of all of this? Is the LIV tour's Saudi sponsorship and money make it a pariah league? Are the PGA's restrictions "anti-American" and wrong? Are Mickelson and Johnson (and potentially others) right to call out the PGA and demand change?

Last edited:
The LIV tour already (and perhaps unavoidably) has a political character to it.

The LIV tour already (and perhaps unavoidably) has a political character to it.

I think Ari meant that tweet was "after many 0s on his appearance fee check"

Big pot buys little pot.

These guys are being paid more money than they would see in a stellar 10 year run on PGA tour OUTSIDE of winning purses on this tour.

Amazing what money can buy.

And for the record- i am not hatin'. These guys had a decision to make that involved financial security for them, their kids, their grandkids and great-grandkids. Kinda hard to turn down that kind of money.

Make no mistake- this is the definition of being a sellout. These players deserve any criticism they get for it. But money talks, and I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same in their shoes. It's really not much different than the NBA and China.

"Here's your bag of money and please don't talk about 9/11"

you could call me a sellout. i'd dry my tears with my 100 dollar bills all day. pga doesnt pay close to that. on top of the golfers having to pay for everything to get there, stay there, etc, hopefully some of the lower guys can rack up some $$ in saudi that pga doesnt pay them.

It costs a minimum of $125,000 to play a year on the PGA Tour.

Here’s a breakdown of the average weekly costs (travel and lodging can, of course, vary widely):

• Caddy = $1200/week (plus a percentage of winnings: 5% for making the cut, 7% for a top-ten finish and 10% for a victory)
  • Travel = $800/week and up
  • Lodging = $600–1200 and up
  • Food = $200 and up
  • Necessities = $400–800 and up (dry cleaning, gym passes, entertainment, tips, locker-room fee, etc.)
  • Note - there is not entry fee for exempt players
Now you need to start adding in the incidental (soft) costs:

• Coach fees
  • Agent fees
  • Trainer fees
  • Accountant fees (PGA Tour pros have some of the most complex tax returns imaginable - for instance, you’ll likely be paying state taxes in a dozen states.)
  • Cancelation and change fees for flights and hotel rooms for missed cuts
Playing golf for a living sounds like a dream, but when you’re away from home 30 weeks out of the year and have just missed four cuts in a row for a net negative income in the neighborhood of -$20K, I’m sure it can feel anything but glamorous.

tried to look up what it cost. best i can find so far.

Apparently the events have teams. Here are the names.

you could call me a sellout. i'd dry my tears with my 100 dollar bills all day. pga doesnt pay close to that. on top of the golfers having to pay for everything to get there, stay there, etc, hopefully some of the lower guys can rack up some $$ in saudi that pga doesnt pay them.

Hey, I agree. Everything is transactional. They get more money than Davey Crockett but they can also be ridiculed for where the money comes from. And its not like Tiger is a saint for turning it down. He turned it down because he has to weigh that money versus the amount he might lose from his sponsors.

Hey, I agree. Everything is transactional. They get more money than Davey Crockett but they can also be ridiculed for where the money comes from. And its not like Tiger is a saint for turning it down. He turned it down because he has to weigh that money versus the amount he might lose from his sponsors.

And whether he could accept such money in good faith without confidence that he could even participate in the scheduled events given his health.

That would probably be an uncomfortable conversation to have with Saudi goons.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom