Greg Norman's Saudi-funded LIV Golf Tour tees off (Update: PGA Tour agrees to merger) (1 Viewer)

They will need broadcasters even if they just stream it, right? And money doesn't seem to be an issue.
LIV added David Feherty this week, who joins Arlo White (did EPL work with NBC) and some others.

I'd like it if they added Gary McCord (old CBS guy who the Master's blacklisted due to describing their greens as "bikini waxed")

They need a TV deal first.

That, to me, is the ultimate question here. Is any broadcast or cable channel willing to "get in bed" with the Saudis and televise the league. Even in the days of streaming, golf is a sport that lends itself more to true television (especially given the demographics of most viewers I would argue).

If a true TV deal were worked out, I think you'd see even more people jump -- especially if the majors still allow them to compete.

They will need broadcasters even if they just stream it, right? And money doesn't seem to be an issue.

It's not an issue, but how the players are treated/paid will matter. The WWE had issues collecting from the Saudis. I'm not saying that will happen with the golfers, but just because money isn't an issue on paper, doesn't mean it won't be one in real life. And what is Dustin Johnson going to do if they stiff him $20M? Sue them in civil court?

If things go south (and I'm not suggesting they will, I'm just being completely hypothetical), then there's little help available to the players, announcers, etc.

It's not an issue, but how the players are treated/paid will matter. The WWE had issues collecting from the Saudis. I'm not saying that will happen with the golfers, but just because money isn't an issue on paper, doesn't mean it won't be one in real life. And what is Dustin Johnson going to do if they stiff him $20M? Sue them in civil court?

If things go south (and I'm not suggesting they will, I'm just being completely hypothetical), then there's little help available to the players, announcers, etc.

I think I read those big numbers to the golfers were paid up front - not sure if that’s true but that would eliminate the risk.

If they want Feherty, McCord, Barkley, etc. I’m sure they’re paying up front - at least for now while it’s fledgling. These are big names with contract leverage.

I think I read those big numbers to the golfers were paid up front - not sure if that’s true but that would eliminate the risk.

If they want Feherty, McCord, Barkley, etc. I’m sure they’re paying up front - at least for now while it’s fledgling. These are big names with contract leverage.

Bryson got north of $125M for a 4.5 year commitment plus the prize money for the events which is a guarantee for all golfers (min ~150k ish). I'm also very curious on the upfront money too.

I wonder if LIV will want Feherty to do some other programming work outside of the events. If you're a golf fan (like i am), his show on the the Golf Channel was fun.

Bryson got north of $125M for a 4.5 year commitment plus the prize money for the events which is a guarantee for all golfers (min ~150k ish). I'm also very curious on the upfront money too.

I wonder if LIV will want Feherty to do some other programming work outside of the events. If you're a golf fan (like i am), his show on the the Golf Channel was fun.

He’s great - his sense of humor is top shelf.

At least they’re making big money.

Don’t see why people are so angry with the golfers when they more than likely use or support things backed by Saudi money in other ways. Quite hypocritical

Don’t see why people are so angry with the golfers when they more than likely use or support things backed by Saudi money in other ways. Quite hypocritical
If the NBA can make millions of dollars investing and making inroads into the Chinese pro sports market, and work and collaborate with a one-party, totalitarian Communist dictatorship who's own human rights record is atrocious, inhumane in regards to Tibet, and recently arresting, relocating, putting hundreds of thousands of ethnic Muslim Chinese Uigyars into concentration camps, or "reeducation camps" where mass incidents of beatings, torture, physical or psychological, have reportedly occured.

Then 3 years ago, Adam Silver and LeBron James cowered to Chinese requests to stop criticizing their government's brutal crackdown of pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong, then the MSM outlets are kind of cherry picking who and which country they can protest and call out.

If LIV Golf and Trump are meant to, rightfully, take it on the chin, then so should the so-called self-righteous, sanctimonious, supposedly higher moral/ethical playing ground the NBA puts itself on a pedestal should be called out, too and not in some passing glance, sort of criticism from ESPN or CNN and then it's forgotten by the next week. Make it stick, make it hurt and make it last.

Last edited:
If the NBA can make millions of dollars investing and making inroads into the Chinese pro sports market, and work and collaborate with a one-party, totalitarian Communist dictatorship who's own human rights record is atrocious, inhumane in regards to Tibet, and recently arresting, relocating, putting hundreds of thousands of ethnic Muslim Chinese Uigyars into concentration camps, or "reeducation camps" where mass incidents of beatings, torture, physical or psychological, have reportedly occured.

Then 3 years ago, Adam Silver and LeBron James cowered to Chinese requests to stop criticizing their government's brutal crackdown of pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong, then the MSM outlets are kind of cherry picking who and which country they can protest and call out.

If LIV Golf and Trump are meant to, rightfully, take it on the chin, then so should the so-called self-righteous, sanctimonious, supposedly higher moral/ethical playing ground the NBA puts itself on a pedestal should be called out, too and not in some passing glance, sort of criticism from ESPN or CNN and then it's forgotten by the next week. Make it stick, make it hurt and make it last.
Reverse your argument

This thread is on page 8
I would hazard a guess the answer to your question has been offered 15-20 times in this thread

This backfired on Vince McMahon

I fail to see how it backfired from that article. He made money. Which was his goal.

If ppl are gonna be in a hypocritical uproar over LIV. They need to look in the mirror and make sure they don’t use ANY products Saudi has invested in.

Like Uber. Snapchat. Twitter. Disney. Lyft. Among others.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom