Greg Norman's Saudi-funded LIV Golf Tour tees off (Update: PGA Tour agrees to merger) (1 Viewer)

I fail to see how it backfired from that article. He made money. Which was his goal.

If ppl are gonna be in a hypocritical uproar over LIV. They need to look in the mirror and make sure they don’t use ANY products Saudi has invested in.

Like Uber. Snapchat. Twitter. Disney. Lyft. Among others.
Wrong answer

This thread is on page 8
I would hazard a guess the answer to your question has been offered 15-20 times in this thread
Only thing I seen after reviewing the thread is ppl saying they might not get paid. That’s their risk. Not mine. Still can’t see why hypocritical ppl are mad

If I can make it sound weird but original in its authenticity and focus, would that make me a real innovator in back-masking, garbling lyrics and innuendo?
If you think nba is hypocritical for taking Chinese money, why aren’t you leading with the topic at hand?
If you agree that taking Saudi money is bad say that
If not then why wade in?

I'm not a fan of either the Chinese government or the Saudis. They're both run by horrific governments and haven't been held accountable for their actions in many ways. That said, their power and influence buys a lot and we're limited in what we can do about it. I'm a bit torn on what the approach should be. Should we just not do business with them completely and risk completely losing a strategic alliance in the global landscape, or do we hold our nose, and continue the status quo? Or some mix of maintaining ties and still holding their feet to the fire? It's a tough call.

I'm not a fan of either the Chinese government or the Saudis. They're both run by horrific governments and haven't been held accountable for their actions in many ways. That said, their power and influence buys a lot and we're limited in what we can do about it. I'm a bit torn on what the approach should be. Should we just not do business with them completely and risk completely losing a strategic alliance in the global landscape, or do we hold our nose, and continue the status quo? Or some mix of maintaining ties and still holding their feet to the fire? It's a tough call.
I would just add that ‘we’ve limited ourselves’
[Mod Edit - let's not go down that rabbit hole - SW]

Last edited by a moderator:
If the NBA and its players can "pretend" to be for human rights, but yet still enrich themselves in the millions from their merchandise essentially made with slave labor, golf pros should be able to play in tournaments funded and paid by a country that is no less a country, with its own problems, with regards to human rights. At least the golf pros are TAKING the obnoxious money being paid to them, as opposed to the NBA players et el making money at the expense of abused civilians, working in slave factories. But TBH, neither country is one I would like to be associated with. I guess I should sell my iPhone 13. Any takers?

If you think nba is hypocritical for taking Chinese money, why aren’t you leading with the topic at hand?
If you agree that taking Saudi money is bad say that
If not then why wade in?
I'm saying both are equally morally and ethically deficient in working with and collaborating with two regimes who have terrible, at best, and horrendous at worst, human rights records dealing with outspoken, critical investigative journalists being murdered or jailed or detaining hundreds of thousands of ethnic Chinese Muslims just due to ethnic or religious reasons.

Its just right now, and over the past couple of years, I haven't heard as many reporters, journalists, human rights activists, commentators on CNN, MSNBC or even ESPN jumping down China's collective throats or being as critical of their human rights record as much as I'm hearing from prigs like Bob Costas, Don Lemon criticizing PGA golfers for accepting millions of dollars to play in a rival, Saudi-funded organization. I get the impression their picking and choosing who and what detestable regime their expressing selective outrage on.

I find that very hypocritical and kind of cowardly, too.

If the NBA and its players can "pretend" to be for human rights, but yet still enrich themselves in the millions from their merchandise essentially made with slave labor, golf pros should be able to play in tournaments funded and paid by a country that is no less a country, with its own problems, with regards to human rights. At least the golf pros are TAKING the obnoxious money being paid to them, as opposed to the NBA players et el making money at the expense of abused civilians, working in slave factories. But TBH, neither country is one I would like to be associated with. I guess I should sell my iPhone 13. Any takers?
You are comparing apples to oranges

So glad I am up on what I need to be outraged about about again. After Covid and a vacation I’d kinda lost track. But, we have millionaires playing for big money bribes by the oil soaked billionaires of the house of Saud. I’ll put that on my list to be outraged about for today.

You’ve hit the nail on the head. I couldn’t have explained it better. It’s hypocritical of everyone to have their panties in a bunch over golfers golfing and making way more than they would in the pga.
If/when I caught a student chewing gum or texting, I would almost always get a ‘why don’t you call out Becky, she’s doing it too’
I would have to explain that others being guilty of the same infraction doesn’t mean you’re innocent
Pointing out that the NBA also has some ethical concerns in no way mitigates the ethically bereft position of taking Saudi money to play a game

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom