Gregg Williams deserves some props! (1 Viewer)

Bayouboy

Football Genius
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
All the attention is on Drew Brees and the offense.....and rightfully so. We have the best player in the entire league (in Brees) and out offense is clicking on all cylinders.....but let's face it, the defense has come to the table in 2009. We have the same athletes as last year.......but we now hunt instead of being hunted!!!!! Sure Sharper is making plays.....but he is being put in position my the scheme. I really think Williams is the key to our season. If we stay aggressive, we will be hard to beat.

We have the same athletes as last year.

Not exactly. We didn't have Darren Sharper, Jabari Greer, or Tracy Porter most of the season. Nor Hargrove. That's making a big difference.

Not taking anything away from Williams, but the vast improvement in the secondary is both apparent and telling. Why Aikmen's comment about there being virtually no personal turnover on defense during the broadcast was a little frustrating.

No personal turnover.....except for a complete overhaul of the single worst unit on the team the past 3 years (the secondary).

This defense is a work in progress. We still gave up too many yards in big chunks today.

I agree that Williams has made his mark, but I don't think it is accurate to say we have the same athletes. The starting secondary has gone through an almost complete overhaul (especially if you add in Porter who was injured last year). IMO, and I don't know that there is too much room for debate, the secondary is where you see the biggest difference.

Did any of you notice the difference in the D from the 1st half to the 2nd?!! Complete friggin turnaround!!! GG never did that.

This defense is a work in progress. We still gave up too many yards in big chunks today.

Really only that one blown coverage.

If you're refering to the 4th quarter, we were playing 2 deep, or more accurately, 2-way-deep. The "big chunks" weren't as important as not giving up the easy touchdown and keeping them in bounds. We tightened up in the redzone both times and they came away with zero points.

Which is a hell of lot more important then the 150 yards they got driving into the redzone those two times.

I'd like to see how the D performs in a tight game, all of this blowing opponents out early and handing Williams pie in the sky makes the D a little hard to evaluate.

The Defense this year IMHO is like night and day. We are creating more havok by either blitzing or mixing up coverages and it is without a doubt leading to more turnovers.

My only problem is we still can't seem to get Harper in the right spot. I think that says more about him than Gregg Williams. I have a feeling if he doesn't get it together he won't be the starter by the end of the year.

And Moore tweaked a hammy today

What??

I'd like to see how the D performs in a tight game, all of this blowing opponents out early and handing Williams pie in the sky makes the D a little hard to evaluate.

Didn't you watch the game? We were tied at the half. It doesn't get tighter than that. Geez.

We are going to give up tons of yard in garbage time if we keep blowing out teams. Their only option is to chew up yardage to try and catch up to us. The key has been to deflate teams early with quick strikes, and BRees has been surgical. 75% completion rate surgical.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom